Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sounds What does 'chewing' mean?

Tangled

Cavy Slave
[GuineaPigCages.com] What does 'chewing' mean?

This is my buddy, Worf. I've posted about him before, but basically, I adopted him about four months ago from a lady who I don't think ever handled him at all.

All this time, he's hated to be picked up or even petted in his cage. Every time I did anything around him; even if it's just putting some new hay down, he'd start making a really loud chattering noise with his teeth and would do that the entire time I hold/pet him.
I know that means they're pretty upset, but he did it so often I kind of started ignoring him, and picked him up and loved on him anyway, despite the ugly noises.
That's all changing, though... He's getting to the point where he doesn't chatter as much at me, and he's wheeking at me more!

I try to pick him up and love on him a while every night, and now he's quit chattering and starting to chew instead. It doesn't seem like the purr noise I've heard about; it's seriously like a little cow chewing on some cud.
I haven't really seen anyone ask about that; is that another nervous thing, or is he starting to calm down some?

Haha! I'm curious about this as well...Sometimes when I stand at my pigs' cage and talk to them, they chew. Then once I pause, they pause. If I say something else, they chew. I've been wondering about this :)

Does he bend over and nibble at his own ass when he chews? He could just be eating his own poop (which is perfectly normal, if somewhat strange to watch lol)

My guinea pigs grind there teeth like that too when they are feeling comfortable and safe.
My guinea pigs absolutely love me, the only thing they hate is being picked up.
So, I think your guinea pig has come around, maybe.. I read somewhere that guinea pigs make this noise when they feel happy and content.
I am pretty sure that is what it means because my guinea pigs do it too.
Not the whole time they are on top of me, just here and there, after they stretch out their legs and have a big yawn, while I'm petting them or while they are just chilling out on my chest.

Grinding teeth is usually a sign that they're kind of nervous or apprehensive, basically not sure about things, but not necessarily angry... that would be teeth clicking.

Mine chew their water...

Grinding teeth is usually a sign that they're kind of nervous or apprehensive, basically not sure about things, but not necessarily angry... that would be teeth clicking.

Are you sure about that? Because my guinea pigs have nothing to fear anymore and are always happy now and they make that same chewing noise.
They do it when they are relaxed and happy, usually with my guinea pig it is accompanied with a big yawn, stretch and he lays his head down on my chest, maybe it is a different noise tangled is talking about.
I was actually listening for it after I read this thread and yeah, they were making the noise while cuddled up on my chest and relaxing.
Maybe it has two different meanings lol.
Guinea pigs are so confusing sometimes :p

I suppose it could be a nervous habit, too, like someone who wiggles their foot when they cross their legs or someone who hums. I noticed that when my female had a URI, she was teeth grinding so I also associated it with pain. I'm sure it could be related to a lot of different things.

My pigs store food all over the cage. They are little food hoarders! each pig has a secret stash!

Mine also chew their water, the air, my hair -_-. basically anything they can find

ETA: woops sorry for double post the first one wasnt supposed to post

My lightning will look up at me from lounging in his fleece forest and start chewing when I come over to his cage without food... I always interperated it as "where is my salad, slave?!"

Thanks for the input, guys! I'm still not sure what to make of it, but I'm hoping it's because he's finally relaxing with me!
He doesn't seem like he has anything in his mouth when he does it, but I didn't think about him potentially storing food in his mouth. I didn't know they'd do that.

He does have a tendancy to hoard broccoli... I put some in with their evening munchies a few days ago, and turned around to see his cage mate munching away on some lettuce, but Worf and all the broccoli were gone. Found him in a pigloo surrounded by it. I love getting to know him and watching his personality emerge. <3

Sometimes when I pet Wally he chews, doesn't make any sounds, just looks like he's chewing on food and when I stop petting him he stops. I always wondered if I was petting him wrong or something. Sometimes when I pet his lower back he popcorns and runs around the cage. Wiggly bugger. And when I talk he chews too...and lots of wheeking. He's a talker :D

He doesn't seem like he has anything in his mouth when he does it, but I didn't think about him potentially storing food in his mouth. I didn't know they'd do that.
I'm pretty sure only hamsters do that; they have actual pouches in their cheeks specifically for food storage.

He's probably chewing on his own poop. It took me a while to figure out that Kwee even did that, but sometimes you'll catch them bending over and nibbling at their behinds, it looks more like grooming than anything else...and then they chew it for a bit. lol

I must admit the poop-eating can be pretty disturbing. XD

It was a couple of months before I even realized that's what Kwee was doing...ah well. A couple of blissfully ignorant months. lol

If you are referring to my post, then I can tell you without a doubt that Chester is NOT chewing his poop. Anyone with any experience would know the difference. And, if you don't believe me, just let a cavy sit on your chest for an hour or so and clean up after himself there.

Chester likes lap time and will crawl up on my chest when I'm lying on the sofa. Invariably, he has to poop and being the tidy little fellow that he is, he will attempt to clean it all so that he doesn't have to move. Of course, his next move is to crawl right under my chin and give me a sample of the "poopy breath".
Just throwing out possible answers, I can't exactly see what Chester is doing. And yeah, Kwee loves to try and give me affectionate nibbles and licks after she's just munched on poop. lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.