Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior What do your guinea pigs do to you?

Llamasomething

Cavy Slave
Stanley will wheek at me non stop for food, and if I'm close to the cage and not giving him food, he will actually chatter his teeth at me until he gets his food. And he will ALWAYS nip at my fingers in case they have turned into food since the last time he has nibbled on them.

Aggressive little thing, huh? :p

How do your pigs interact with you?

laylahzoemom

Cavy Slave
I have two girls, Laylah and Zoe. My girl Laylah (who is 4) sits in the hood of my sweatshirt so she can hang out with me while I'm on the computer. She climbs up there herself. Both of my girls love to kiss (lick) my hands and my face. They yell for food whenever I'm in the kitchen and greet me when I come home from work every night. My bf says as soon as they hear my key in the door, they start wheeking :)

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Llamasomething,
Do you think he is maybe just asking for more attention ? Given his recent loss of Fonzie...he's probably just lonely and needing a little extra tender-loving-care...

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Does he get his 1 cup of veggies and lettuces in the morning and in the evening ? If he is gettting a well-balanced diet as well as eating some of his pellets and lots of fresh good quality hay....he may just want a little extra love and attention if he feels afraid or alone wondering where has his cagemate Fonzie gone, you know ? Which do you think he needs more, your quiet soothing company....or more food ?

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Also...my baby girls just recently wheeked at me...for the first time yesterday I believe it was...and it was definately for food. I was trying to tempt Cuddles (the Boss) to go up the ramp, so I got a piece of grape, sliced it in half and put one half of the grape upper middle high on the ramp and the other slice of grape I put on top of the ramp. Well, that darm grape must have been driving her crazy with desire..so she wheeked at me 2 or 3 times ( first time EVER) and then propped up her dainty little paws on the bottom part of the ramp and looked over at me and wheeked again at me as if she were trying to say, " Would you please, PLEASE give me that lovely piece of grape?" Ohhhhh man, it was hard not to give in to her...but she faced her fear., went low and slow up the ramp eating the fruit as she made it to the top and in ! Hooooray for Cuddles ! So, in my limited experience, I think they wheek to communicate their desire for many things. Happiness in seeing that you have come home. Or, wheeking back when we talk with them when the are in their cages.... Wheeking for cuddling....so far, that has been my experience. And sometimes I read their wheeking wrong...I believe it is just a matter of time and getting to know and read each of their individual needs. What do you think ? Am I being helpful to you in any way ?

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
One thing is for sure from what you have so far mentioned...they adore you, they love you....they trust that you are REALLY there for them. How lucky for you both to have such a close bond with them ! You must be such a good mommy !

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
The only and last thing that I would suggest..is that if Stanley's wheeking is ALL about the "food" then I would be really careful that the "treats" you give him are not loaded with sugar and calories...and avoid any kind of petstore brands improperly named "treats for guinea pigs" which are NOT healthy for them to eat. There are all kinds of information on the site as well as other links like guinealynx.com for a complete list of diets for guinea pigs which depict an appropriate list for every age in their growth and development. Read all that you can from the quality sites and you will have the knowledge that you need . I believe ( If at all possible} to give our piggies the top quality hay and pellets, with a wide variety of veggies and lettuces twice a day, with maybe once or twice a week giving them a sliver of apple with the skin on, and a few blueberries. I save a slivered piece of apple for Cuddles at laptime and then a blueberry or two for Buttercup. What do you do ?

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
If my girls are out on floortime, and I'm walking by or through the area, they both run after & circle my feet like little dogs.

Belle hates peeing om me during laptime but has a small bladder, so instead she often walks up in my boyfriends lap to do her business. xD

Hatter will do anything to get out of nail trimming, and lately she's drawn the sympathy card. She'll snuggle as close as possible, kiss you like her life depended on it, and if you grab her foot then give you this "Oh spare my life!" look. She also has a huge head which is really convenient to hide her front paws under while giving you the puppy eyes.

If I'm eating something - they want it. They've never been interested in blueberries before. But yesterday I sat by their cage eating them & they went nuts. It's like "Poison test cleared!"

RoxieJo

Cavy Slave
My piggies are really big on wheeking... it's very funny. Josie has a very loud, high pitched wheek. While Roxie has a much quieter, very pathetic and quivering wheek. When they get going in unison, it's like an orchestral arrangement for a horror movie :eek:hmy:

Food is always a very popular source of wheeking around here, rattling bags, opening of the fridge door. They also wheek alot just to get head and nose pets. If my husband or I give nose pets, they will angle their heads upward and close their eyes, all content and relaxed. We also get some gentle finger nipping... usually when it's getting close to salad time.

They are also very attentive to our comings and goings. My husband works nights and gets home around 11:30 pm. They always start wheeking about 5 minutes before he walks in the door at night. They know he's home before I do lol

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
If my girls are out on floortime, and I'm walking by or through the area, they both run after & circle my feet like little dogs.

Belle hates peeing om me during laptime but has a small bladder, so instead she often walks up in my boyfriends lap to do her business. xD

]atter will do anything to get out of nail trimming, and lately she's drawn the sympathy card. She'll snuggle as close as possible, kiss you like her life depended on it, and if you grab her foot then give you this "Oh spare my life!" look. She also has a huge head which is really convenient to hide her front paws under while giving you the puppy eyesT].[ I need to trim Buttercups nails badly..but I chickened out ! Any suggestions ?

If I'm eating something - they want it. They've never been interested in blueberries before. But yesterday I sat by their cage eating them & they went nuts. It's like "Poison test cleared!"

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
My piggies are really big on wheeking... it's very funny. Josie has a very loud, high pitched wheek. While Roxie has a much quieter, very pathetic and quivering wheek. When they get going in unison, it's like an orchestral arrangement for a horror movie :eek:hmy:

Food is always a very popular source of wheeking around here, rattling bags, opening of the fridge door. They also wheek alot just to get head and nose pets. If my husband or I give nose pets, they will angle their heads upward and close their eyes, all content and relaxed. We also get some gentle finger nipping... usually when it's getting close to salad time.

They are also very attentive to our comings and goings. My husband works nights and gets home around 11:30 pm. They always start wheeking about 5 minutes before he walks in the door at night. They know he's home before I do lol
I just think that is soso very CUTE ! My babies don't do that yet...but it might be because they have only been in their new downstairs cage for a few days. So, maybe that is it ? Maybe they wil wheek more for me in time...I hope.

Llamasomething

Cavy Slave
Llamasomething,
Do you think he is maybe just asking for more attention ? Given his recent loss of Fonzie...he's probably just lonely and needing a little extra tender-loving-care...
Oh no, him and fonzie BOTH chattered at me when they wanted food befre Fonzie died. He actually gets even more mad at me if I sit and pet him for a long period of time instead of feeding him hay xD

He's gotten used to getting hay whenever people sit down by the cage, because we pick out all of the good leafy fuzzy parts of the hay and feed them to him by hand. So when we're sitting there and not feeding him, he's like "UM WHERES MY FOOD GUYS?"

And trust me, I don't feed treats. His "Treats" are extra bits of green pepper and lettuce. He gets lots of veggies all day long, and again i always feed him veggies by hand sitting next to the cage, so he's sused to food being there when I sit next to him.

He just has an attitude.

Llamasomething

Cavy Slave
My piggies are really big on wheeking... it's very funny. Josie has a very loud, high pitched wheek. While Roxie has a much quieter, very pathetic and quivering wheek. When they get going in unison, it's like an orchestral arrangement for a horror movie

They are also very attentive to our comings and goings. My husband works nights and gets home around 11:30 pm. They always start wheeking about 5 minutes before he walks in the door at night. They know he's home before I do

Awwww that's so cute :)

Mine used Wheek whenever they heard someone on the stairs, and if they were particularly awake at the time, if they heard me roll over in bed they would wheek like CRAZY until I got out of bed no matter what the time, and gave them some love and hay. :love:

Thank goodness Stanley doesn't wheek in the middle of the night anymore, (He still listens for those stairs though) but he will wheek at me when he sees me getting into bed so I always have to go say goodnight to him right before I go to bed, and give him some love when I get up in the morning. I do think he is starting to feel lonely :sad:

Stef41

Cavy Slave
The reaction I would have if I won the lottery.....is about equivalent to the reaction my piggies have when they hear "their" drawer open up in the refrigerator!

If there are guests over, they are astounded by how keenly aware the Guins are to certain sounds and of "strangers." Two of my GP's will go straight in their hidey houses and wait for the guests to leave, while the third (my social butterfly, so-to-speak) will be out and about wheeking for some recognition! Because surely the guests are there for her and her alone...to assume anything different is ridiculous!

All three of my girls are very lovey! They love to lick my hands/arms/face when they're content! In fact, that is how I can tell how content they are, usually. If they're sitting with me and they want to explore, they'll nudge my hand away when it's near their head...but if they're in the mood to cuddle (which is often), they won't settle until my hand is in front of them so they can lick at it! After giving me these "kisses" they will lay down in my lap and doze. Silly piggies.

I consider myself very lucky to have been blessed with such sweet girls! They're such happy little souls :love:

Llamasomething

Cavy Slave
Aw Stef that sounds so cute. Stanley will NOT cuddle. He will lay down in his cage if we pet him and he is in the mood for pets, but the second he is out of his cage he is OUT. Unless he's in his basket for nail trimmings, in which case he is laying down and chutting like the sweetest little piggy you've ever seen, cuddling up to everything saying "Please mama, don't pick me up again!"

Little brat, haha.:love:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.