Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding What do you use for kitchen bedding?

• Thread starter LuLu the Guinea
  • Start date

LuLu the Guinea

Cavy Slave
I now have a 1x2 kitchen loft and I don't really want to be using fleece in their kitchen. I was wondering what do you recommend for kitchen bedding. I was thinking about Yesterday's News but that seemed to hard to use for a kitchen. I'm not sure what to use. What do you use?

koco46

Cavy Slave
I use Fresh World Bedding,which is also a paper product but I'm thinking of building a loft also and was wondering the same thing

MyZoo2

Cavy Slave
Our loft is made of coroplast & has fleece bedding in it. We have a hay bin (made from grids), so it's pretty easy to keep clean.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
I like carefresh a lot, but it can get expensive. Yesterday's News and aspen are also good choices.

LuLu the Guinea

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys. What do you think of using yesterday's news with something soft on top? I'm not sure what it would be yet. Any suggestions?

lissie

Cavy Slave
Yesterday's news alone is ok to use for kitchen area. You can also top it with Aspen or carefresh. I've been using YN for a while and recently switched to wood pellets. I'm thinking of switching back. I like wood pellets because it controls odor really well but it's really heavy. YN is also heavy but not as much as wood pellets.
I like these heavy bedding because they don't get dragged around the cage. While using carefresh, I can see a trail all over the fleece.

fieryone

Cavy Slave
I use Yesterday's News with a layer of Carefresh Ultra over it to make it softer. So far this has been the best combination that I've tried. I buy larger quantities of both online to keep costs down.

I like these heavy bedding because they don't get dragged around the cage. While using carefresh, I can see a trail all over the fleece.

This is very true if you have a lower/smaller litter box. It drove me nuts in Doc's cage before he joined the girls. My litterbox in the big cage is made of coroplast and has high sides so the tracking is minimal if any.

heartpiggies

Cavy Slave
I use about 2 inches of aspen shavings with newspaper underneath in the kitchen area. It's the only place Gary goes to the bathroom, other than in his cozies :rolleyes: It's pretty absorbent and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I started out using Carefresh (which was getting expensive) but I figured since Gary doesn't nest in the bedding like a hamster it would be fine to use wood shavings. I only use aspen and the brand I use is cut in a way so that it's actually pretty soft.

GizzyandMe

Cavy Slave
I use a cardboard box layered with Pet Bed shavings covered with Hay. Gizzy seems to love to sit in it and eat circle around herself.

Layer One:

Layer Two with her bowls (ashtrays) and a carrot and apple in - please note the apple gets removed once she has taken a few bites

I place it all in her swimming pool which is layered with mop clothe then towles then fleece.

Not sure if it will work in a cage setup (Gizzy is on free range - I live in her house not the other way around hehehehehe)

LuLu the Guinea

Cavy Slave
I like the idea of pet bed shavings then hay on top. But that might cost a lot of hay considering they will pee and poo in it. Is YN hard on piggy feet?

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave
I use Carefresh in their potty and it doesn't go all over the cage :D

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
If you buy hay from a feed shop rather then a pet store it's actually very inexpensive. I go through about $6/month in hay if that and I put two huge piles in a day.

LuLu the Guinea

Cavy Slave
But does that change the quality of the hay?

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Not necessarily. Feed stores often have better quality hay than pet stores.

LuLu the Guinea

Cavy Slave
Okay. That's good to know. I was thinking of using either yesterdays news or shavings what do you think is better?

lissie

Cavy Slave
Both are good. It also depends on personal preference and price.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
If you go with shavings, make sure they are safe. Aspen and kiln-dried pine are fine.

LuLu the Guinea

Cavy Slave
Okay. If I decide to go with shavings I will probably use aspen just to be safe from the pine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.