Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What do you cavies actually PLAY with?

vasmg

Cavy Slave
Being new to the guinea pig arena (at least as an adult) I'd like to know what your guinea pigs actually PLAY with? I have the tennis/cat balls in the cage (ignored), a couple socks stuffed with bedding (don't know if they're playing with those yet) and various hide-outs. So far the only thing I've really seen them do is eat <smile>. They do like the toilet paper holders with hay stuffed in them.

I have 3 boars - ranging from 1.5 yrs (I think, adopted) and 2 about 4-5 months. They're in a cage with a 2x5 bottom, 1x5 top with 2 wings)

I'm basically looking for some ideas that have worked for people (or should I say pigs). Thanks. :)

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
One thing- Bells. I got a bird hanging toy and they LOVE it! Mostly ring it when they want food.. or I am late for giving it to them. lol

QuackXP

Cavy Slave
Tunnels. I have a 4" T section of drain pipe I got at Home Depot for like $3. They are in and out of that all the time. I also got a edable log shaped tunnel from the pet store to give them something to pay in and something else to chew on asside from there pigloo. They have a hanging bell with some wood on it but it gets ignored.

They used to play with and chew on toilet paper rolls. (make sure you cut then down the center as a small piggy could get stuck) But after a while I just found them piled in a corner for days.

When I created my new hayrack out of a bent grid I discovered one is willing to jump up into something if properly motivated. Because I didn’t want him peeing and pooping on the hay and was worried he would hurt his feet if there where not enough hay to support him. I modified it so there is no open end. But I was thinking of getting a hammock maybe put a bit of hay or a veggie up there to movitate its use. I haven’t tried balls or cat/ferrit toys.

They like to play in paper bags. A little hay helps. I usually use these for floortime though so they can be taken out when soiled and they take up a good bit of space where it’s a premium in their 2x4 grid cage.

The Toys & Play page on the site has some good ideas.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/toys.htm

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
Is that giraffe fleece I see? I have some too. My boys have a stuffed giraffe that they sometimes drag around, a bell that Chopper especially likes to make ring, a 4" 45 PVC and paper towel rolls.

gpigluver14

Cavy Slave
I think mine likes anything that offers security the best, like hideys, tunnels, enclosed ramps, blankets she can crawl under, cardboard boxes, beds, etc. Just get creative!

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
I only have something for mine to chew on. :eye-poppi I seriously need to get more toys before they come home! I'm thinking about getting some tunnels, what else should I get?

pamziaw

Cavy Slave
Things concerning food, EG hay stuffed paper bag, tunnels, bells, cushions, i found mine liked to jump around on it.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
OK! I want to get a hammock too, are they ok?

pamziaw

Cavy Slave
Yep, i made the one mine have, its a suspended grid, bent a bit and covered in a layer of newspaper then some fleece. Suspend it by tie raps.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
OK. I also am looking at one to buy, but it would probably be cheaper to make it.

pigsmakemesmile

Cavy Slave
They actually don't play they just like to jump up and down onto their hideys and go up and down the ramp.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
ARe Ferritrail tunnels OK for guinea pigs?

Jess Z

Cavy Slave
Yes, I believe that those tunnels are fine for pigs. My pigs use anything with bells and small stuffed animals. Also, the best toy for any piggy is a big pile of timothy hay!

I<3MyBabies

Cavy Slave
Wanna save some money? :)

Instead of Ferretrails, go to Home Depot or your towns "home improvement" type store, maybe a garden store even, and ask for "black corrugated plastic drain piping" used in gardens. It is cheap and easy to clean ( I find that my pigs poo/pee in the tunnels) and easy to replace. They love them!

Best part, not more than 5 bucks.

Biscuit

Cavy Slave
They like their tunnels, but mostly they play with each other. One runs up and won the ramp.

They have no interest in balls, bells, chew sticks, hanging bird toys, plush animals, and so on.

They play pig-train, but hands down their favorite game is being gluttenous hay fiends.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
We have a Home Depot, and a Lowes, and I think hoem Depot is cheaper than Lowes, but Lowes has better workers, meaning they are TONS more helpful! OK, I'll try that, I want to get some more hideys and things for them.

pritti_hippie

Cavy Slave
Percy plays with his bell and he loves paper bags! Also, I bought his a 'bedtime buddy' from the pet shop which he drags and uses as a pillow.

clooney87

Cavy Slave
I have used toilet paper roll and my lil guy loves it, also the bird toy with the bell. I also have some small stuffed dog toys that he pushes around. Oh and his favorite thing to do is run between the blinds and the sliding glass door, he'll do that forever haha.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
Coco loves a tennis ball. He pushes it around all of the time. If you fill a paper bag with hay, they use that too. Coco sometimes backs up into itand falls asleep. Then he eats the hay.

nismosmama

Cavy Slave
They play with poop....haha! But really, my pigs usually play with each other, they follow each other around, nudge each other in the hiney, hehe. I've put toys in there for them like balls, and wooden toys, and hay balls, etc, but they hardly touch them. Mostly they just push stuff out of their way. They really enjoy jumping upstairs into their hay loft, they like playing with a furry cat bed I put in there with them, and a stuffed pig that's in there. They like to re-arrange stuff a lot. They do have a tunnel, which they go through mainly just to get from one side to another.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.