Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

What do ya think?

• Thread starter guineapig_girl1
  • Start date

guineapig_girl1

Cavy Slave
My cavy girl (Parsley) has been eating and drinking a lot. She is shaped like a half of a pear, bulbous on 1 side, fat on the other. When I hold her, I feel movement in her side. She is acting quite timid, but is always happy to see me, especially when I have a treat for her. She doesn't lap the cage anymore, like she used to. She is somewhere between 1 1/2 and 3, and recently adopted. Any suggestions are much appreciated!!!!!!

If you're feeling movement, she's probably pregnant and fairly close to delivery.

Do you know whether or not this would be her first litter? If she's had one before, she'll probably do ok. But she's old for a first litter -- the pelvic ligaments stiffen at about eight months of age, and make it difficult to deliver. If this is her first litter, you need to line up a vet who can help if she can't birth the pups on her own.

As she gets larger, you shouldn't hold her unless you have to -- it puts quite a strain on the uterus and on her back. But as she gets less and less mobile, make sure she doesn't lie in her pee and poop. You can gently encourage her to move, then clean under her.

Be sure to feed her extra calcium -- either alfalfa pellets, or a little alfalfa hay along with whatever else you're giving her, or veggies with high calcium, like parsley. See https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...y-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html for more information on feeding.

Also, read (broken link removed).

Thanks, bpatters!!!!

Also, I have no clue whether or not this is her first litter.

Since you don't know if it's her first litter, line up vet information in case you need one. Read www.guinealynx.info/labor.html for information on what to expect.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.