Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet What do sore feet look like?

piggy1321

Cavy Slave
I have a guinea pig almost a year old. I clean his cage all the time, but his feet are getting bright red what does that mean?

It means there's something irritating his feet. Could be urine or poop in the cage, or the bedding material itself.

What kind of bedding do you use? How large is your cage, and how often do you clean it?

You want to get the problem resolved before he develops pododermatitis (bumblefoot), because that can be painful and hard to cure.

ok, and i clean it usually 1-2x a week. And i believe i use pine

You may want to clean it more often. I have a tenderfoot and the slightest thing will cause her hind feet to turn bright red. With my bumblefoot I didn't have any luck with wood shavings. She has fleece and crittercare paper (white). Keep everything extra clean is all I can suggest.
Bpatters is way knowledgable with this kind of stuff and advised me when I experienced sore red feet with Cinn.

ok, thank you very much. do you use regular fleece or a special kind? Also where do you buy the crittercare paper?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.