Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet What do Guinea Pigs Eat Other Than Fresh Foods and Store-Bought Diets?

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
I haven't had much insight to the nutrition of Guinea Pigs.....

I was wondering, besides fresh fruits and veggies and pellet-diets, what else do Guinea Pigs eat? Is that it?

Another thing, I have 1 food bowl but I am going to get 2 Guinea Pigs. The pellet-diet recommends 1/4 cup per Guinea Pig per day. This means that for 2 Guinea Pigs, 1/2 cup of food is necessary. Since I only have 1 food bowl, does that mean that the Guinea Pigs might eat more than 1/4 cup a day, TOO much food in a day? I can't really make the Guinea Pigs eat exactly 1/4 cup per Guinea Pig per day, soo........ any help?

Thanks!

The most important part of their diet is unlimited grass hay.
hay
https://www.guinealynx.info/hay.html

If you will be getting 2 guinea pigs, it would be better to get 2 food dishes so they don't fight over the food. Separate the feedings into 2 meals would be better too.

Plain pellets are recommended.
https://www.guinealynx.info/pellets.html
We recommended KMS hayloft pellets (they also have the best hay), Oxbow and Sweet Meadow Farm pellets.
(broken link removed)
Oxbow Animal Health | Cavy Cuisine - Adult Guinea Pig Food
(broken link removed)

It's fine if they don't eat the same amount of pellets.

First off, I recommend getting 2 food bowls so they won't fight. Fill them up with 1/4 cup of pellets, each. Remember to allow them to an unlimited supply of hay. (For baby piggies feed them alfalfa hay, for adults feed timothy hay). I also think that you should have 2 water bottles to reduce the chance of fighting. Also remember to feed your piggies 1 cup of veggies per day.

Thanks,
Julia:)

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that I had Timothy Hay haha. Oops....

Yeah, I should have thought about getting double of each...... I will definitely get more. Will the food bowl that each Guinea Pig goes to the first time be the one that they use all the time?

I have 3 pigs and they do a piggy shuffle at pellet feeding time. They'll start eating all lined up in a row, then the bossy one will decide she wants one of the other bowls and make the other 2 move so she can have which one she wants. Bad Piggy :grumpy:

I always recommend 2 water bottles, even if you only have one pig. My 3 don't fight over them, but consider one a back up just in case the first one fails.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.