Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions What could be wrong with this guinea pig

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Okay so yesterday when we went to the pet store we saw this guinea pig that was seperated from the other pigs. He was quite large so I'm guessing he was an adult pig. He had long curly hair and when I looked towards his back side he had lost some hair and was scabbing. So we asked one of the guys who work there and asked him what had happened. And he said that he was in a group and they had beaten him up. He also said that he should probably go to a home where he could be alone. But what worries me is he was in a small aquarium tank. And I don't trust super pet to get him better or to find him a good home. Because of what had happened to my bella that I got from there. In case some of you don't know she had gotten pregnent because they put her with a male.

Now I had an idea of taking him home but because we have star we can't keep him. But that doesn't mean we can't get him better and find him a good home. He had a sign that said he was free to a good home. But only problem is if we have to take him to the vet my mom doesn't want to pay the vet visit. Understandible because we just took star to the vet as some of you may know already. And that cost us over $200. So what I'm asking is what do you think I should do. Should I just leave him there and trust that the pet store can find him a good home.

I'm also afraid that because of what he went through that he may not be so friendly. And how do you help a pig that doesn't seem to want to be helped. I just don't want to do this then him biting me and not wanting me to touch him. Or him not wanting any of my help. Do any of you have any idea of what I should do this is really bothering me. Especially seeing his cage and knowing how bad pet stores can be. The pet store is called super pet if that help you any. Please help asap.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
You could take him from the pet store to a rescue centre instead of taking him home?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
My guess would be that he has mites, and they can make a pig very cranky. You could treat him with ivermectin yourself -- that shouldn't cost much.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
But we were told by the pet store that he was beat up by other guinea pigs. And he also said that his hair should grow back. He didn't say anything about him having mites. But you see this is why I don't trust them. I just didn't like seeing him in that small 5 gallon aquarium that really bothered me. We have a humane society do you think they would be okay to take him to.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You'd have to call the humane society - we have no way of knowing whether he could go there or not.

I wouldn't take advice from a pet store clerk. You'll have to decide whether you want to or not. But the clerks could have plopped two male pigs in a small aquarium, wound up with a big fight, and then separated that pig. Also, if he has mites, he'd be grouchy with either people or pigs. Guinea pigs aren't usually biters without reason, so I wouldn't worry about being bitten once I got him over the mite infestation.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Honestly I don't know, we don't have the humane society here haha.
I think the pet store would rather blame the problem on the pigs and say they fought than admit they have a sick pig.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Well apparently he didn't get into a fight there he had a family then was brought to them because the other pig were bullying him. According to the clerk anyway we didn't see his owner he was already there. But I doubt the guy would make up a story about him having a home befor being brought there. But I don't trust that they would find him a good home or get him better. It seems to me they didn't even get a vets opinion to make sure there weren't anything else wrong with him.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.