Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rescues What Can I Do?

arionat799

Cavy Slave
Hi, so, I've really been wanting to help out lately. Whether it's a rescue, a shelter, etc. I really just want to help out with the care of guinea pigs. I really don't know how to word that. lol

Keep in mind that I am...umm..."under age" so I can't just drive anywhere I want and do whatever I want. The humane society closest to me has a guinea pig and lots of bunnies right now and I'd love to go in and help out. How would I go about doing this?

Thanks! :)

Contact them and ask what they need. Make sure you have your parents' consent since you're a minor. The shelter near me has a lot of teen volunteers who walk dogs, clean cages and feed the small animals.

Contact them and ask what they need. Make sure you have your parents' consent since you're a minor. The shelter near me has a lot of teen volunteers who walk dogs, clean cages and feed the small animals.

Thanks! I will talk to my Dad about it tonight. :)

Thanks! I will return soon with what I find lol.

ETA: There is an age limit that I fail to meet. :sad:

Well, even if you aren't able to help at the shelter because of your age, they might need help in other ways. Maybe you can stuff envelopes for mailers or make posters for adoption events. Maybe you can find ways to donate supplies. It couldn't hurt to ask them.

Shelters have very strict laws to follow from the city they are in and the state. You can do what (broken link removed) sugested, or you can contacr rescues. Rescues might be able to accomodate your age, but your parents will probably need to sign a release of liability form. Also, talk to the rescue and explain how much experience you have. Maybe you are too young to handle the animals (in case they wouild bite), but you could clean cages and supervise floor time. Good luck!

Don't give up with just one shelter! My daughter started volunteering at the age of 14 at a local animal care center (where we adopted our first pig). She washed dishes, did laundry, mopped floors, shredded paper, etc. While she wasn't able to 'work' with the animals she was able to pet them, and she loved that!

(As a sidenote, my daughter got her first real job at the age of 15 and they LOVED that she had work experience, even though it was volunteer, they considered it experience!)

Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.