Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General What breed is this guinea pig?

betty

Cavy Slave
I have been in contact with this guinea pig's owners regarding adopting her. Here is a picture... (broken link removed)

Here are my questions:

What breed do you think she is?

We live two hours away from her and I will make arrangements for us to meet somewhere for the adoption. They say she is a female, but I want to make sure. I have done lots of research on how to sex a pig but have not done it. Do I "practice" on my own guinea pig or will it stress her out too much (we have only had her for a few days).

Any other advice on adopting through craigslist would be helpful. Thanks so much!

I looked at that ad, you must live relatively nearby :) It's a fuzzy picture but I'd say at least part abby? I'm glad Minnie's getting a home :) I check out the Vancouver area gp ads all the time, teehee.

Also, on adopting through craigslist, sorry, missed that question!

I got my second gp, BMO, through craigslist. I had to skytrain out to Burnaby for her (I live in East Van). Before BMO we looked at another beautiful pig out in surrey that was advertised as a girl but when I double checked, he was a boy! A girl's "bits" should look like a "Y" and a boy (if he's an adult) should have two gentle "bumps" behind his bum. His "bits" won't be "Y" shaped and with pressure the penis should poke out. I would say go ahead and practice on your pig. Some pigs hate it but others tolerate it well and man, I'm glad I sexed these pigs before buying them!

She also looks like an abby to me. And no, I don't think you'll stress your pig out by practicing on her. But if you go meet her to check her out, you might print the pages at Sexing Guinea Pigs: How to Sex a Guinea Pig and take them with you for reference.

Thanks everyone, I will let you know what happened. It's nice to have another person from Vancouver on here skritters!

The long hair will not be problem, I have a pig who has 6 inch long hair, which I have to trim very soon.

I agree that she looks like an abby.

I think she looks fuzzy or fluffy. Like a Teddy or a Texel.

whatever she is I LOVE her; she is beautiful

I think she looks fuzzy or fluffy. Like a Teddy or a Texel.

I kind of thought it could be some sort of abby mix but didn't think it was teddy or texel because of the way the fur lays on its head. Teddies and texels don't have bangs or fur going forward on their heads. It does look like it has longer fur so maybe it's an abby with crimped or longer fur. I have a texel, texel mix, two teddies, a rough haired American, a Peruvian-texel mix and one that looks like a Swiss and none of them have fur on the top of their heads like that. A better photo would probably make it easier to see.

Alpaca maybe. That's a Texel with a crest.

Thanks everyone, I will let you know what happened. It's nice to have another person from Vancouver on here skritters!

Absolutely! Let us know how it goes with Minnie!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.