Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What breed? What breed is Harper?

pocketmonster

Cavy Slave
Hello!
I recently got Harper from a rehoming mommy a few hours from me. She is unsure of his breed since she got him as a baby with little info about him from a family who didn't want him anymore. My guess is that he's part Shorthair and part Aby, but his unusual coloring made me want to bring pictures here and have you guys guess!
If you can't tell from the pictures, he has two or three little mohawks running down the length of his body, one right down his spine and a few on either side. His hair seems to grow up towards the top of his body.
Here are pictures of my baby!
Sorry if they're not the best, I do not currently have a camera so the webcam on my MacBook Pro will just have to do for now! :)

[GuineaPigCages.com] What breed is Harper?[GuineaPigCages.com] What breed is Harper?

Note: I have no desire to breed Harper, I am just wondering about the origin of his funny whorls and learn more about his nice blue roaning.

Thanks! :)

i would say aby. let me get the link for the breeds bc i think theres a minimum amount of "swirls" they have to have to be classified as an aby.

He's definitely roan coloring, so for heaven's sake, don't let him breed.

Wow... he's beautiful

He's definitely roan coloring, so for heaven's sake, don't let him breed.

I am not going to breed my pigs regardless of coloring. There are too many guinea pigs out there that need homes and it would be selfish of me to breed mine.
Can you educate me as to the problem with roaning, though? Just so I can learn more.

I was thinking Abby as well, however he is kept with my other Abby and he and Scout look NOTHING alike. Harper is only 3 and a half months so perhaps his hair will grow more, but it doesn't seem to be growing in the month I've had him.

When a pig with a roan gene is mated with another pig carrying the roan gene, there is a 25% chance of a guinea pig receiving two copies of this gene. These pigs are all white and typically have dentation issues, ocular issues, auditory deficiencies, and other neurological/congenital deficiencies. They are referred to as lethal white guinea pigs because many do not survive beyond a few months. They require quite extensive, if not obsessive, care to provide even a modicum of a "normal life." A google search will turn up even more info.

Also, he definitely looks like a roan abby to me. Some abbies have more/fewer rosettes, different length of hair, etc.

Also, he definitely looks like a roan abby to me. Some abbies have more/fewer rosettes, different length of hair, etc.

Thanks for your input, especially about roaning! I was never planning on breeding any of my piggies, but now I for sure will not breed him.
I love him regardless of his coat colors or the genes he carries :D

hes definetly abby but I was also wondering about the roan. What does it look like? Are they all grey and white?

Google "roan." It is the even intermixing of white hairs with darker hairs; it usually looks like a man with "salt and pepper" hair. A merle collie coat is a great example of what we mean.

Double post. Please delete this post.
Thanks!

hes definetly abby but I was also wondering about the roan. What does it look like? Are they all grey and white?

Well his body seems to be black and white mixed. I cannot make out any gray hairs. He also has some big white spots that seem to be mixed with cream hairs near his haunches. He has a few spots of tan on his mousey brown head.
He is a smorgasbord of color!

Google "roan." It is the even intermixing of white hairs with darker hairs; it usually looks like a man with "salt and pepper" hair. A merle collie coat is a great example of what we mean.

Well I am very aware of what roaning is, as we have had a few strawberry roan horses (chestnut and white hairs). Harper seems to be what we would call a "blue roan" if he were a horse, than is dark hairs mixed with white hairs and a dark face.
I am glad to be informed of the dangers of breeding roans, however. I have been around roan horses my entire life and was never aware of this phenomena.

[GuineaPigCages.com] What breed is Harper?[GuineaPigCages.com] What breed is Harper?
Hey guys! I just wanted to share more pictures of Harper the Roan with Scout the Definite Abyssinian. Is it possible to have Abbies with short hair? He certainly has whorls, but the hair is nothing like Scout's.

View attachment 21926View attachment 21927
Hey guys! I just wanted to share more pictures of Harper the Roan with Scout the Definite Abyssinian. Is it possible to have Abbies with short hair? He certainly has whorls, but the hair is nothing like Scout's.

Sure, he probably has short haired breed mixed in, like some American. He really is a handsome guy. I like the shorter haired, rosette look.

Sure, he probably has short haired breed mixed in, like some American. He really is a handsome guy. I like the shorter haired, rosette look.

Okay, thanks! That's what I was thinking as well. I knew he wasn't full Aby like Scout. He knows he's handsome, he's currently popcorning like MAD around his cage while Scout watches. He is really a special little guy :)

More pigtures of Harper, just showing off his pretty coloring :)
ps. His left ear is split due to an injury with his brother before we picked him up, but it is completely healed now! :)

He is super cute!!

And by his face in that last pic, I think he knows it. He really is adorable.

Hahah oh yes, he is certainly well aware of his cuteness.
Thanks for helping to discover his breed, guys! I think the consensus is that he is an Aby/American mix. That explains a lot about him, like his cheekiness (characteristic of an Aby) and his boisterousness (like an American!)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.