Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What breed? What breed & Age?

H@nn@h

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Please can someone hep me, was just wanting to know how old my pigs are. I got Milo in May 2011 and have just got Oscar 3 weeks ago but would like to know how old they both are.

I have weighed and measured them today:
Milo (Black one) Weight; 2.3lbs. Lenght;26cm approx.
Oscar (White one) Weight; 1.3lbs. Length;25cm approx.

Also if anyone can also tell me what breed Oscar is, I Know Milo is an abyssinian but not too sure about Oscar. Thanks.

Attachments

IMG_0622.jpg IMG_0625.jpg
Assuming Oscar is on the bottom, it looks like my Lil' Babe, which is an American.

I'm no professor on age, though. It looks like Milo is probably at least a year 1/2 old? Not sure about Oscar, though.

The top one is an abby and looks like an adult. There's no way to tell ages for sure. Some people say you can tell by teeth, nails or feet but that's not true. I have a 9 year old that has feet that look like tiny baby feet. Very old guinea pigs get knobby joints like people do so you can tell the seniors easier. The bottom is an American short hair and looks like a youngster...at 1 lb 3 oz, that's way below and adult's weight so I would guess maybe 4 months. Size varies by genetics so there's no way to know for sure.

9 years old wow! you must be a great owner, thats amazing.

Pinky got them correct. I think both of them would be considered Dutch due to their coloring.

Just as a comparison, our larger female is 500 grams = 1.1lbs (not 1lb 1oz) and she is 2 months and 3 weeks old. We have been weighing them every week and they are gaining about 30-40 grams per week.

9 years old wow! you must be a great owner, thats amazing.

I'm the second owner. She was bred by the original owner and then they had her mate neutered. I think they said she had 27 pups. When he turned 7 and she was 5, their owner surrendered them to our rescue. I took them both in in 2007. Her mate died in 2008 but Curly is still going strong. She's very sweet and nurturing. I think she's a good example of those who are easy-going living longer. You can tell she's really old, though, by looking at her. I usually have to wake her up so she gets her share of veggies. She seems to be hard of hearing, too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.