Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets What brand is best?

Mom_of 3

Cavy Slave
Ok I've been throough all the fresh fruits and veggies that are good for piggies and right now they are eating walmart brand food as thats what the previous owners had the girls on but at the end of the week it's piggie goodies shopping time and i need to know what is the best packaged guinea pig food??

The brands you want are KMS/Kleenmama (only available online) and Oxbow, which is available at Petsmart.

I think it would also be wise to ease them over. (Correct me if I'm wrong here, experienced owners, but) piggy tummies are sensitive and you don't want to upset that balance by switching over to quickly.

I would try giving them 3/4 WalMart to 1/4 healthy pellets one week, then 1/2 Walmart to 1/2 healthy pellets the second week, then 1/4 Walmart to 3/4 healthy the third week and be wholly on the healthy pellets by the fourth week. At which point, if they're not gone already, I would throw out the rest of the pellets from WalMart. Whichever you choose- KMS or Oxbow, I would do your comparison shopping first because you want to pick a brand and stick with it. You don't want to confuse them even more by switching between KMS and Oxbow a lot.

I'm afraid that if you just go cold turkey with the WalMart brand, you could have sick piggies very quickly!

Sweet Meadow and Mazuri 5664 are also good. Mazuri is an alfalfa based pellet so you should never feed more than 1/8 cup per day for an adult. The others, which are timothy based pellets, can be fed up to 1/4 cup a day. You can switch them over cold turkey. Lots of the cheaper brands have a lot of junk food in them and they'll pick it over the high quality foods so just making the switch is the best way to go. It won't harm them in any way.

Is there any difference in the kinds of timpthy hay??

Timothy hay is timothy hay, but quality does vary. It doesn't matter the brand of hay, as long as it is fresh, green, soft and smells good, then it's of good quality.

i ask about the hay because there are so many kinds the kaytee brand has different kinds is this not good for them?:Timothy Hay Plus With Hibiscus, Timothy Hay Plus With Mango,Timothy Hay Plus With Carrots,Kaytee Timothy Hay Plus With Marigolds .

I wouldn't get any hay that has stuff mixed in with it. Kaytee hay is also usually crappy quality.

oxbows is cheaper as well, thank you for the helpful information!

I don't remember the brand that I used when I had my pigs, but they came with dried carrot and banana slices. They loved the carrots.

@Tunundary when you had your pigs? meaning you don't any more? will you in the future? :?:

@Mom_of 3 Oxbow is cheaper where? I was just scouting different sites for food and found that KMS was actually cheaper. In lowest common terms, KMS hay was $11 for 9 pounds and timothy pellets were $11 for 25 pounds, and there were better deals for bulk orders. Pet Food Direct sells a 9 pound bag of hay for $25 and Oxbow Adult Pellets for $9. Where did you shop?

@CritterLuvva I have a semester of college left and then whenever I find my own place so it won't be until next year sometime.

How many servings in a pound of pellets? In other words, how long does it take one guinea pig to put away 10 pounds of pellets? I'd like to know this information to figure out how much I should purchase before I get my guinea pigs (a few months down the road, but hey :D).

Also, for the same reason, I'd like to know how long hay and pellets last before they go bad? I don't want to buy so far out in advance that my food goes bad. I'm not purchasing any thing until just before I get my piggies, but would like to know how long it will last when I do. Thanks!

I go through one bag a month with my four pigs. So, I am approximating about 2.5 pounds per pig, per month.

Hay can stay good for quite some time, if sotred properly and allowed to "breath."

I would say two months on pellets. Pellets can also be frozen to use later and extend their life.

On the KMS website, it says not to freeze her brand. The most I would get at a time for two pigs is 10 pounds. The next size up is 25, and it's a HUGE paper-like bag.
[GuineaPigCages.com] What brand is best?

@mtm88781 Thanks! I forgot to ask how much hay one pig goes through in a week? And I do need that info. Sorry! :eek:

Oh, also, I just measured 1/4 cup for you. My scale says it's about 1 1/4 ounces. Since I don't want to calculate using this silly non-metric measurement system, I'll let you do it. :p

Umm, I dont have an exact answer. I buy by the bale ($5.00 for 50 lbs), and with four I go through one flake a week. (Approx 5 pounds) So a little more than a pound per pig.

Thanks for helping me get this sorted out every one!

@MissJean Thanks for taking the time to weigh the pellets. Incidentally, do you know piggies are being fed the same weight in hay as they get in pellets? I found that interesting- and very confusing at first. Then I realized that 1/4 cup pellets is heavier then 1/4 cup hay- then it made the world of sense! :D

the oxbow hay is cheaper at petsmart,com than the kaytee brand from petco.com
@Tunundary when you had your pigs? meaning you don't any more? will you in the future? :?:

@Mom_of 3 Oxbow is cheaper where? I was just scouting different sites for food and found that KMS was actually cheaper. In lowest common terms, KMS hay was $11 for 9 pounds and timothy pellets were $11 for 25 pounds, and there were better deals for bulk orders. Pet Food Direct sells a 9 pound bag of hay for $25 and Oxbow Adult Pellets for $9. Where did you shop?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.