Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits What Bedding for Rabbit Litter tray?

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Soo...little Scooby has been making me think about lots of things for him!

But the one thing I'm stuck on is what to put in his litter tray that is different from the rest of his cage...he has fleece on the floor where the tile isn't.

So fleece is out.
Aspen is out.
Carefresh is out.
Wood pellets are out.

He is an Angora rabbit so it all gets into his hair.

I've been contemplating using just towels or newspaper...but am not sure...anyone have any better ideas?

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Tried them...they got tangled up in his feet hair, tail and underbelly...

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Wood pellets or Yesterday's News were the only things that didn't stick to my rabbits.

You could also put a grate over his litter tray if he is just getting too dirty or digging. Rabbits can walk on wire floors without harm, it's just constantly being on wire that is the problem. A little wire grate over a litter tray to keep him clean will be fine.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I love Fresh News and Sun Seed brands of bedding. I use either when I go overnight somewhere and they don't get tangled in my texels' hair like wood shavings do.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Wire on his litter tray is probably the best idea...was wondering if it'd hurt his feet so is good to know a bit of wiring in his cage wont harm him.

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Would puppy pads work? It just came to mind..I've NEVER used them before but they must feel different from fleece?

He has a 50cm by 50cm litter tray so he can sit in it and eat his hay.

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
1/4" x 1/4" is the size of the holes in the wire. Like this.

The only thing about puppy pads is that he might chew on them.

mickey1007

Cavy Slave
I use this one - http://store.busybunny.com/litter-box-lb-1-p1191.aspx (click on the "view enlarged image" to get a better idea of how it looks)

I tried using the wire ones but my bunny hated them and never used them. This is plastic and she has no problem with it. I just use wood pellets underneath and it works perfectly.

It is a little pricey but I think it's worth it!

Rabbit_Lover

Cavy Slave
Wire on his litter tray is probably the best idea...was wondering if it'd hurt his feet so is good to know a bit of wiring in his cage wont harm him.

I wouldn't do this but I know people that have there rabbits on 100% wire and it doesn't hurt there feet at all. The fur on there feet is so thick they barley feel it.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Glad I read through this! I was debating today what to put in the litter box. I am probably going to use the base of a store cage I had as a litter box!