Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Alternatives What are the issues?

MuggleMaggie

Cavy Slave
What are the issues with a cage/enclosure like this? behind the picket fence there is plexiglass. Same with the upper level. From what I understand, you need something more breathable for piggies than that... What about lining the inside of the picket fence with my old (well, in use now, but not if hubby builds me this...) Midwest habitat cages?

what other issues do you see with it?? how would you address them?lovethislove.jpg

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
I think it's beautiful...but how do they get up to the upper level?

R5 plus

Cavy Slave
That is a nice looking cage.

I wouldn't think the plexiglass would be an issue on the bottom of this cage - it's so big. The upper level , maybe. I'm not real familiar with how the midwest is constructed. Would you take it apart and use the pieces?

MuggleMaggie

Cavy Slave
I think that's an area for separate piggies. I may have him build that larger, for my boys. Seems how I have boys and girls.

MuggleMaggie

Cavy Slave
That is a nice looking cage.

I wouldn't think the plexiglass would be an issue on the bottom of this cage - it's so big. The upper level , maybe. I'm not real familiar with how the midwest is constructed. Would you take it apart and use the pieces?

Yes, probably, so. It is actually one loooong piece of cage when un hinged. I think it would work beautifully. I thought of chicken wire, but that isn't covered with the plasticy coating.

R5 plus

Cavy Slave
Should be a fun project.:)

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
If the top is open, I don't see how the plexiglass stops any air from getting in, if I am wrong he could always drill holes in the upper part of the glass. It's not a small tank or anything. That is an awesome looking cage!

oldnewie

Cavy Slave
That is a beautiful cage, I love it! Especially the bottom section, so spacious, lots if hideys & stuff that don't even take any room away because of the size. The picket fence & gate make a beautiful accent, & with the plexiglass behind makes it all look airy & clean. Um, I reckon the top will need to be much bigger if either your girls or boys were to be housed there. I can see no issues with the plexiglass in this cage because it is large & open. There would definitely be problems if the cage was completely enclosed & covered. Were you thinking of using something else instead of the plexiglass? Chicken wire could be too bendy & not look as good as grids or the like. Anyway, happy 'creating'.

MuggleMaggie

Cavy Slave
I'd do fleece, too... that's a LOT of bedding. You'd have to take it out with a shovel! lol

KaileighRussell

Cavy Slave
That cage is amazing - but I would totally have fleece for it!

I believe that the top section is a separate cage completely - which is awesome! That way you can have males and females in the same area! I agree about drilling holes in the plexiglass for air circulation though that would be a must.

Great cage - I would kill for the space for one and one of those cages in general!

MuggleMaggie

Cavy Slave
I'm honestly thinking about remodeling my entire office just for piggies. lol Who needs a desk when you have piggies?!

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'd be concerned about the height of the sides. I have a female that almost got over the 14" sides when she jumped up after seeing the veggies I was bringing. I switched her and her cagemate into my single level C & C to avoid an accident. The sides of the cage in the photo look shorter than 14" and that upper level looks really high. The materials used made a pretty cage but I'd modify it to make higher sides to keep the guinea pigs safe. The second issue is having the houses next to the cage sides where they can climb on them and jump out.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
They did a wonderful job. In a cage that size I would not worry about plexiglass. Now if it was narrow like only 2 grids wide that is an issue for airflow but this is so wide and big it shouldn't be a problem. I also don't see a problem with the height of the side. I have shorter sides myself and have not had a problem. In a cage of this size you would probably want to use linoleum as a base.

MuggleMaggie

Cavy Slave
They did a wonderful job. In a cage that size I would not worry about plexiglass. Now if it was narrow like only 2 grids wide that is an issue for airflow but this is so wide and big it shouldn't be a problem. I also don't see a problem with the height of the side. I have shorter sides myself and have not had a problem. In a cage of this size you would probably want to use linoleum as a base.
Linoleum.... like... peel and stick tile, or the roll out flooring?

MuggleMaggie

Cavy Slave
I'd be concerned about the height of the sides. I have a female that almost got over the 14" sides when she jumped up after seeing the veggies I was bringing. I switched her and her cagemate into my single level C & C to avoid an accident. The sides of the cage in the photo look shorter than 14" and that upper level looks really high. The materials used made a pretty cage but I'd modify it to make higher sides to keep the guinea pigs safe. The second issue is having the houses next to the cage sides where they can climb on them and jump out.

Lol you've got pole vaulters! I was thinking of making the edges higher, too. It's a valid point. Gotta keep that in mind when I draw up the plans/

pinky

Cavy Slave
Lol you've got pole vaulters! I was thinking of making the edges higher, too. It's a valid point. Gotta keep that in mind when I draw up the plans/

I have a female texel that can jump really high. It's really funny. She doesn't do it often but when she gets really excited about something she goes almost straight up in the air. Had her water bottle not gotten in the way, I'm pretty sure she'd had cleared the side. Her front legs and stomach hit the top of the bottle which is about an inch above the grid.... I think that cage is beautiful. I'd love to see photos if you build one like it. The gate is really cute.

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
There are no air flow issues with that type of cage-it's amazing.
As was said above, if it was smaller then the plexiglass walls may be an issue, but that is plenty big.
I have solid wood walls on 3 sides and plexiglass on the front (lined with a coro base on 3 sides) and air flow is not an issue because it's open at the top like this cage.

The side heights are variable for each person's set of pigs. There is no "set" height for sides that has been given here or anywhere else that I have found. There are a lot of suggestions, but no "this is the minimum" type of statement. Some can have lower sides with no problems and some need higher sides for jumpers. It's good to "get to know" your pigs before deciding on the best height. I happen to have 10 inch sides and 9 inch plexiglass front that is fine for my pigs. I do keep the hidey house away from the edge so they can't jump on it and then over the side though. Though they have never jumped on the hidey house....

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I do believe you can get that edging fence in a few different heights too.

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
Love! Oh, so cute!

But I would DEFINITELY do higher sides, especially for the top. Even if you don't in a million years think your pigs could/would jump it, it's just not with the risk. And for the top area, I'd drill air some holes in the plexi. I am assuming the fencing has plexi to keep little heads from getting stuck.

[MENTION=15081]pinky[/MENTION] - you need to video your amazing jumping texel!

[MENTION=27320]MuggleMaggie[/MENTION] - post pic as you design and build!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.