Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

What are sows like after giving birth?

pandaloki

Cavy Slave
I've recently adopted a sow, her original owner told me that she gave birth few weeks back, her two pups died. Her current condition isn't the best but it's better than before. Hair is growing back, her diarrhea is starting to go away, and it looks like she's gaining tiny weight. She's very active.

I've never had sows before and she feels weird compared to my boars. I know she's underweight now but is it normal if I could feel her bones? Her face is also rat like. She's in quarantine since I just got her, now so she's all alone, actually she's been alone ever since she got pregnant, will that affect her health? I'm going to get her a friend once I'm done with their new cage.

The rat like face is just that she's a different breed; probably a lot of American in her. I'd weigh her daily to see if she's gaining weight. If there are any signs of lethargy, sneezing, labored breathing or loss of appetite, I'd have her checked. As far as a friend, I'd wait until you know that she's in good health before introducing her to another one.

The rat-like faces are just a different strain of guinea pig. Some pigs have pointed noses, some have Roman noses. Some have floppy ears on the side of their heads, some have sticky-up ears -- the ones in South American usually have the straight-up ears.

She may eat more when she has a friend -- the best-tasting food is always in the other pig's mouth.

She may eat more when she has a friend -- the best-tasting food is always in the other pig's mouth.
LOL, how true!

Yep, Americans do look more like rats. My Borat's face is much more rat-like than Amy, my Abby. I'm so glad you adopted that poor girl. Pinky's advice on weighing is excellent. She should start gaining now that she's in good hands. Don't forget to quarantine her friend before introducing them, since it's possible she has an illness that's not showing up obviously.

Hmm I'm not sure if it's a breed thing. I'm pretty sure the breed standards call for Roman (rounded) noses in all breeds. I might be wrong, though. I've never shown or bred guinea pigs.Being able to feel her bones is not normal. This points not only to an unhealthy lack of body fat, but also to a lack of muscle mass. I have mostly sows, and some of them are far more solid than any boar I've had. Having been pregnant, particularly if it was a difficult pregnancy, she was young (and still growing herself) when pregnant or she had other health conditions while pregnant can contribute to a lack of fat and muscle. Has she been to a vet to assess the cause of her diarrhoea and hair loss? A friend can definitely help in so many ways. Piggies do eat more when they have friends. I think they're scared of not getting their fair share. She may also be feeling a bit down and lonely, so a friend can definitely improve her mood, which will make her more likely to eat, and to run around and play, which will make her gain muscle mass.

Hmm I'm not sure if it's a breed thing. I'm pretty sure the breed standards call for Roman (rounded) noses in all breeds. I might be wrong, though. I've never shown or bred guinea pigs.Being able to feel her bones is not normal. This points not only to an unhealthy lack of body fat, but also to a lack of muscle mass. I have mostly sows, and some of them are far more solid than any boar I've had. Having been pregnant, particularly if it was a difficult pregnancy, she was young (and still growing herself) when pregnant or she had other health conditions while pregnant can contribute to a lack of fat and muscle. Has she been to a vet to assess the cause of her diarrhoea and hair loss? A friend can definitely help in so many ways. Piggies do eat more when they have friends. I think they're scared of not getting their fair share. She may also be feeling a bit down and lonely, so a friend can definitely improve her mood, which will make her more likely to eat, and to run around and play, which will make her gain muscle mass.

Most guinea pigs aren't bred to standard due to accidental and casual breeding so you see a wide range of face shapes. Rounded noses tend to be seen in teddies, texels and cresteds although you do see them in other breeds. The pointy nosed ones tend to be short haired Americans. Some Americans have very narrow faces and pointed noses, resembling rats. I have a white American male with rough fur and a pointed nose that looks a lot like a large rat. You can see the differences by googling guinea pig breeds

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.