Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What breed? What am I besides adorable?

Crystalkate

Cavy Slave
People are telling me different things about what Carliee's breed may be. I was thinking texel, but now I don't know. Maybe a tad bit of Abyssinian as well. When I adopted her over a month ago she had extremely long hair that was dyed yellow from her urine, and it was all matted. It has waves, but not tight curls. Her whiskers are very kinky!
Either way I love her, and just wanted to share some of her cuteness with you guys... because my husband doesn't care, and neither does my toddler. She is the sweetest girl I could have ever asked for. She never runs from me, not afraid of my dogs or cat, or worst of all my 21 month old boy.
She hears any type of crinkling bag and she popcorn's with joy all through out her cage.

What am I besides adorable?What am I besides adorable?What am I besides adorable?What am I besides adorable?What am I besides adorable?

btw I don't let her eat the plant behind her in the first picture. :)

I'm suffering from a cuteness overload... I can't offer you advice on her breed, but that's one cute piggy! :)

I can't help with the breed but her curly coat is gorgeous. Very swooshy hair on top too!

Texel, and cute as heck.

Thank you guys! That's what I thought, but the person I got her from said she was Abyssinian. I thought she would have more curls if she was a texel...at least my texel pig that I had 6 years ago did.

I've heard various things about breeds and the intermixing of such breeds, but she looks texel-y to me. You are right, though, that they typically look much more curly. Abbys have rosettes interspersed throughout their torso and rump, I have picutes of my two abbys in my profile.

If she were Aby...her hair would be in swirls on the base....not curly hair like that...

My texel (possible mix) is very similar. I think he's probably got some other non-wavy genes in there, however as he gets older his hair gets wavier. She is super adorable!!! Good thing you're in Kentucky and I'm not willing to drive that far to steal your piggie! :)

Very cute! I love her expression in the 4th picture down, with her head tipped to the side -- like she knows just how adorable she is!

She looks a lot like my Curly Fry who's a Texel-Peruvian mix. Yours doesn't have a part so it might be part Silkie instead of Peruvian. It's hard to tell if her bangs want to go forward or back.

What am I besides adorable?

Awww, what a cutie!! She looks so cuddly!!!

She actually did have a part down the center when I picked her up! She looks a lot like you picture @pinky :D Her bangs kinda stick straight up, but to the backish.
@Wildcavy - Yes, she knows she is cute. And she expects me to treat her like a dainty princess. Which of course I do lol
@surfingpig - I looked through your pictures and holy smokes you have some cuties!!
@SeeSpotSit - I love the one in your profile pic!!

It's actually interesting. Six years ago I made a impulse adoption of a texel pig, because I have an obsession with sheep. I fell completely in love with him. He ended up having to go live with my friend when I got married because my ex was allergic to him and refused for me to keep him. (haha as I type that sentence...I am reminded why he is now my "ex")
Any who, I have been searching everywhere for someone who has an unwanted texel, and had no luck. I found Carliee on craigslist from a couple who didn't want pigs anymore, but wanted to start rabbits. They told me she was a long haired guinea pig, so I went to see her, and from the moment I held her I knew she was coming home with me. I didn't know she was texel when I brought her home because her hair was in such a bad state. She is my little fuzz ball.

She actually did have a part down the center when I picked her up! She looks a lot like you picture @pinky :D Her bangs kinda stick straight up, but to the backish.
@Wildcavy - Yes, she knows she is cute. And she expects me to treat her like a dainty princess. Which of course I do lol
@surfingpig - I looked through your pictures and holy smokes you have some cuties!!
@SeeSpotSit - I love the one in your profile pic!!

It's actually interesting. Six years ago I made a impulse adoption of a texel pig, because I have an obsession with sheep. I fell completely in love with him. He ended up having to go live with my friend when I got married because my ex was allergic to him and refused for me to keep him. (haha as I type that sentence...I am reminded why he is now my "ex")
Any who, I have been searching everywhere for someone who has an unwanted texel, and had no luck. I found Carliee on craigslist from a couple who didn't want pigs anymore, but wanted to start rabbits. They told me she was a long haired guinea pig, so I went to see her, and from the moment I held her I knew she was coming home with me. I didn't know she was texel when I brought her home because her hair was in such a bad state. She is my little fuzz ball.

My Pichu is a Texel. (gold one) Her daugher is the offspring of two texels but she has her own unique look. I adopted both from a high school boy who couldn't handle the upkeep with school activities. He was a good owner, though. They were pretty much free range and were really well cared for. Texels are a lot of work. I prefer short haired breeds since there's a lot less upkeep. My favorites are the teddy mixes.

What am I besides adorable?

Texels can have parts down their backs like Peruvians. They also lose some of their curls when they're brushed a lot. Moo has really curly hair on her belly.... almost like a poodle. I think that fur is prettier than the fur on the rest of her.

@pinky Your pigs are so adorable! I love the gold one, she is beautiful. Carliee is also extremely curly on her belly!

@pinky Your pigs are so adorable! I love the gold one, she is beautiful. Carliee is also extremely curly on her belly!

Thanks. Pichu is darker than what the photo looks like and not as orange. I think the pink fleece made her look brighter. Her fur is really thick, almost like a mop When she gets bathed, it takes a really long time to dry her fur. Curly Fry has fine, curly hair. Moo is really funny looking. She has a lot of black on her face and a white mouth so she looks comical when she lifts her head. One of her eyes is red and the other is brown. There's so much fur on her face, I'm not sure how easy it is for her to see but I don't want to trim around her eyes. Moo is pretty shy and hides behind Pichu. Pichu is pretty laid back but protective of Moo.

aawwwww Carliee has extremely thick fur as well. When I first got her she was such a mess and smelled so bad. It took her a very very long time to dry. I set her in her play fenced in area and set a floor heater pointed towards her. Took forever. I don't know where it all comes from lol That's so sweet that Pichu is protective over Moo. I just love them, they all have such different personalities. I feel so blessed to have my guinea pig.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.