Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sad what age do you rehome babies?

ChristieB

Cavy Slave
I so wish I could keep them all but our house is just not ready for 8 guinea pigs :sad: I am seperating the boys next week since they will be 3 weeks. After that when do they get rehomed? I am thinking 6 weeks but I am unsure. The thought makes me sad but I have to start prepping.

It's always so sad giving up babies...
You can rehome them any time after they're weaned, so boys 3 weeks, and girls 4 weeks. You might want to wait a little longer for the boys though, so they can get over being away from their mom and sister's before they go to a new home.

Boys and girls are not weaned at different ages. They become able to reproduce at different ages. The earliest boys are fertile is at 3 weeks (21 days), so it's recommended to separate them from their mothers and sisters at that age, and they can be rehomed after they are separated from mom. Girls can also be rehomed at 3 weeks but it's not imperative to separate them from their mom at that age.

so they do not have to be seperated at 3 weeks? Mom is still nursing them all except she is starting to push the girls away (they are the largest babies). Should I wait until I see signs of maturity (rumblestrutting or mounting) instead of going by the 3 weeks recommendation?

No, I'd separate the boys from the momma pig at 21 days. They could stay with their sisters another week, though that might be pushing it, so I think I'd just separate at that 3 week mark. Girls can stay with mom as long as you want them to.

If you wait, you might find pregnant females. I would take them away right away. Waiting until they actually start trying to mount the girls could be bad- it only takes seconds to impregnate a female. ;)

yes, we want NO more babies. They have been fun and ubber cute and a great experience, but this was a ONE time experience for us. We already have 6 more guinea pigs then we planned on having so no more babies for us. Thanks! So sad to know that you only get a few weeks with these little guys :(

Is there any proven case where acutally a boar younger than four weeks reproduced offspring?
In germany mostly the weight decides when the boars have to leave their familys. Personally s long as they haven´t reached 250g I wouldn´t seperate them.
And for both the weight matters when it comes to the questions whether they can be rehomed or not.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.