Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wet baby bottoms

al8dan

Cavy Slave
Our wee babies will be 2 weeks old on Saturday.
As we have never had babies before I am not sure what sorts of things tend to be normal or not.

Our babies both seem to get very wet bottoms. Some days is worse than others and they seem to be happy other wise.

Here are some pigtures so you can see what I mean.
I am just thinking as the babies are getting older and try new foods they get dirty. The cage is clean .

Thanks
Julie

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
I don't think that is normal. I've fostered babies and adopted a few babies. Never seen that. Is their Mom not cleaning them up or warming their bottoms? I know of an orphan that didn't know how to go to the bathroom. He needed a heating pad and for his bottom to be rubbed/warmed.

What is their diet? Are their poops irregular? Are they loose? Are they drinking water okay?

What kind of bedding do you use?

al8dan

Cavy Slave
They are on soft well cut straw with a home made sleeping bag made out of towel and sheeting.
They drink well and eat everything the Mother eats. I thought it was the veggies Mom was eating so now she just gets them when she is away from them.
I think they got a tiny piece of apple yesterday.
Not too sure about the poops will have to look and double check.

Thanks so far for the answer
Julie

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
Staw doesent absorb anything very well. It could be they arte getting stained from urine. My pigs hair gets stained and wet if I let it grow too long.

critterlover

Cavy Slave
It might be your bedding. I used towels for awhile and my piggy's bottom was always wet. I now use Crown Animal Bedding which is very absorbant and the problem has gone away.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.