Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Well POOOP! Allergy

brupoppiggies

Cavy Slave
Has anyone suddenly developed an allergy to Hay? This is the second bale from the same farm (compressed timothy/orchard mix) I have NOT had an issue with the hay before, don't even have "hay fever" in the spring. Went out to the shed to bring some hay in off the bale and broke out in hives ALL OVER my arms after touching the hay, my hands are terribly itchy as well.

I know allergies can result from over exposure, but we've had the pigs over a year without problem. Anyone else experience this? I told hubs and the kids they are on hay duty from now on, but I'm now concerned that I will break out just holding the pigs - they are ALWAYS in their hay.... :weepy:

Rhinos_mom

Cavy Slave
I've always been allergic to hay, I've gotten used to the symptoms I get a couple hives and itchy when I hold the pigs but I wash the area with soap and water and put some hydrocortizone anti itch cream on and I'm good.

I've heard Allergy shots work well, I'm thinking about getting those when I'm more financially stable.

Allergies develop and disappear, I'm not sure why. I used to be pretty darn allergic to sunflower seeds and oil when I was younger, and now I'm not at all allergic to them.

SeeSpotSit

Cavy Slave
I would try blue grass. I order it from KMS and my wife shows little to no allergies to it compared to Timothy. We can't even have our pigs near Timothy or she is completely broken out and wheezing. Right now we have orchard and it's ok but not as great as the blue grass.

Earausch

Cavy Slave
You can develop allergies over a long period of time, and possibly not have noticed you were itchy to it, or something got mixed in with the hay you are allergic to, like a weed or some pollen that was on the hay,

leopardjunkie

Cavy Slave
I talked to my dr. Timothy is the main allergen related to guinea pigs...Also if you have a mold allergy and there was any on the hay during storage or improper storage...that could be an issue.

most often hayfever season is when Ragweed is prevelent :) :) made me chuckle, but you can develop allergies at any point in your life.

some people have had great luck with bluegrass or orchard grass, or when you get a batch don the gloves, mask, glasses and bag it into lunch sacks and then put those in for feeding instead of loose hay, helps.

If you have a family member that want to wipe down the pig with a moistened rag or papertowel before you hold them that will help with hay dust or pollen making contact. or at least limiting. And then I would hold them at the end of the night when you are about to change clothes anyways or before you shower in the morning...so you are removing any allergens so you are not bothered all day.

many people have luck with air purifiers.

and if you want to try meds zyrtec is a great indoor/outdoor and should cover your guinea pig issues :)

Earausch

Cavy Slave
I like benadryl for my allergies, Right now I'm using an off brand of Benadryl, and it works good and was cheap for me :D

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
I like benadryl for my allergies, Right now I'm using an off brand of Benadryl, and it works good and was cheap for me :D

I second benadryl/ store brand benadryl for piggy allergies! I'm allergic to hay and the pigs and just about everything outside. Most days the hay doesn't bother me unless I get a hay splinter or stir up a lot of hay dust from the bale. I only use the benadryl in the spring because on a normal day to day basis the hives and sneezing, etc only last a few minutes and usually I mess with hay before I shower so I can wash the dust off. I have an air purifier above the cage and vacuum frequently (although lately not as much as I should!). My allergies never used to be this bad, but over the past 9 years (how long I've had pigs!) they have gotten much worse. I recommend keeping the pigs out of your bedroom if you can, mine are in my room not by choice. A good allergy medicine I use is flonase, it works faster and better than pills. Also when I clean the pig cage during peek allergy season I wear a bandana around my mouth/nose and occasionally wear gloves.

Earausch

Cavy Slave
I second benadryl/ store brand benadryl for piggy allergies! I'm allergic to hay and the pigs and just about everything outside. Most days the hay doesn't bother me unless I get a hay splinter or stir up a lot of hay dust from the bale. I only use the benadryl in the spring because on a normal day to day basis the hives and sneezing, etc only last a few minutes and usually I mess with hay before I shower so I can wash the dust off. I have an air purifier above the cage and vacuum frequently (although lately not as much as I should!). My allergies never used to be this bad, but over the past 9 years (how long I've had pigs!) they have gotten much worse. I recommend keeping the pigs out of your bedroom if you can, mine are in my room not by choice. A good allergy medicine I use is flonase, it works faster and better than pills. Also when I clean the pig cage during peek allergy season I wear a bandana around my mouth/nose and occasionally wear gloves.

OMG I started doing the bandana too a few weeks ago, helped so much, I also wait to put in my contacts till after I clean the pig cage or give them hay and put my glasses on before doing it at night. And always always wash your hands after handling the hay, all the way up your arms with soap