Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General weird teeth... and chewing bars..

PIGGYandCHILLI

Cavy Slave
so chilli started to have those weird teeth that looks something like this:
| | |
| | /

but she is eating hay, eating pellets, eating veggies like carrots...
she acts like what she does all the time just with those weird teeth...
Is she okay? i have hay all day provided for her...
and this worries me a lot because her hubby...died from teeth problems...
and if that is the case than their child will mostly occur this problem in the future... :weepy:

P.S. The boys are chewing bars ALL THE TIME and i am not kidding....it's ALL THE TIME..
i have 3 boys and 1 of them looks like he has weird teeth like this
| | |
| | (

something like this...
is it like this because he chew bars?

Please help.. >_<

It's difficult to know what your pigs' teeth look like from your drawings to see if there is a potential problem.

There is one dental condition called maloclusion which is when the teeth are not meeting properly and causing a problem with eating for the pig. So it could be that but it's hard to tell from your drawings. If you are concerned, a trip to the vet would be able to determine for sure if there is a problem.

If their teeth are malocluded, they will need regular appointments to have them filed down so they pigs can eat properly.

i'll try to take some pictures...
but visiting the vet everytime costs 80AUD and everytime having a grain-teeth surgery costs 500aud....i doubt that this will really work as in long term ........

Their teeth meet right but the right side is going up steadily.

Is Chilli's cage in the same room as the boys? If so, it's no wonder they are bar chewing. They want to get to her.

yes...i don't have another space to fit in a cage though...that's why they are besides each other...

i'll try to take some pictures...
but visiting the vet everytime costs 80AUD and everytime having a grain-teeth surgery costs 500aud....i doubt that this will really work as in long term ........

Malocclusion is a chronic condition that needs to be taken care of regularly for the rest of their lives so if money is an issue about this, consider rehoming. If it's not taken care of, they will slowly lose weight and will eventually die of starvation because they cannot eat properly.

Hopefully this isn't the case but it's worth it to get them to the vet to make sure.

i know that happened, but for what you said as "Malocclusion" does not really seem like my case...
chilli's
both up and down teeth are able to meet, but more like going to the right side steadly, not unable to meet each other.
i know that that is the case that there will be a regular dental visit for them, because we had an experience with another pig....which was sad...
what i'm not sure is that she is still eating hay normally and eating hard veggies...than why is her teeth going up steadily? is it normal?

They are all pretty young, right? It's unusual for a young pig to have malocclusion--it's possible though. Are they getting the vitamin C they need, from their pellets, veggies/greens, or supplementation? A lack of C can cause teeth problems.

The continual bar chewing, though, will cause problems. If you could put a solid divider between the cages, so they can't see each other, that would probably help to stop the bar chewing. In my rescue I put dividers of coroplast between cages of males and females.

Do you weigh your pigs? It's the most reliable way to be sure they are eating and drinking all they should.

Is she able to keep food in her mouth? Or is some spilling back out while she is chewing (molars)? Can she hold onto a solid piece in her incisors or does it drop right away? Is she losing weight?

Is she able to keep food in her mouth? Or is some spilling back out while she is chewing (molars)? Can she hold onto a solid piece in her incisors or does it drop right away? Is she losing weight?

she eats properly, not sure what you mean by spilling food out, but i doubt that i saw something like that.
If i use an piece of small carrot as an example, what she does normally is picking a little piece from the bowl and run to her own corner. She bits a bit of and starts eating. The rest of the piece will be on the ground. Once she finishes that bite she bite another part of. That's how she eats.
she is not losing weight. She's still 820 grams, same as 2 months ago..

They are all pretty young, right? It's unusual for a young pig to have malocclusion--it's possible though. Are they getting the vitamin C they need, from their pellets, veggies/greens, or supplementation? A lack of C can cause teeth problems.

The continual bar chewing, though, will cause problems. If you could put a solid divider between the cages, so they can't see each other, that would probably help to stop the bar chewing. In my rescue I put dividers of coroplast between cages of males and females.

Do you weigh your pigs? It's the most reliable way to be sure they are eating and drinking all they should.
Chilli is a bit over 1 year old. others are about 7 months old. They have hay all day, does that provide enough vitamin C? they also have carrots and capsicum etc..
i did weight my pigs. Chilli did not lose weight. Still 820 grams same as 2 months ago. She is drinking and eating as she does normally.
and thanks for the tip! not sure will that really work because they can still smell each other..but i'll try!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.