Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Weight loss ideas?

4piggies

Cavy Slave
Hi there,
One of my pigs is overweight. She is getting quite a little pot belly, but she definitely cannot be not pregnant. She gets a variety of vegetables daily, including greens, and is only fed fruit as an occasional treat. They eat no commercial treats. I feed unlimited Oxbow pellets/timothy hay. Ideally I would like to limit her pellet intake, but her two companions (who get the same diet) are quite trim, and I think it would not be healthy for them to lose any weight. They have a 7x2 cage with an upper deck, so they have plenty of space to exercise. I would be grateful for any suggestions. Thanks!

Are her cagemates younger?

Do you have a solid place where they would have to climb up? I had a solid shelter that I would put their treats up on so they'd climb up and it helped them lose weight when they were a bit porky.

Her cagemates are older. More climbing is a possibility- thanks so much for the suggestion!

How much does she weigh?

And pigs don't need more than 1/8 cup of pellets per day -- that's the least important thing in their diets.

If you don't want the other two to lose weight, take them out and hand feed them a little extra.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.