Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Weight gain

pinky

Cavy Slave
Re: What happened to my girls? Help me understand...I'm so lost...

It's actually a blessing in disguise. There's a high mortality rate with guinea pig pregnancies. Their lives will be much easier without being burdened with having pups and they have one another as a companion. It's a win-win situation all the way.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave

Could it have been a false pregnancy coupled with growth, digestive system, and a deep desire to see pups moving?

slendermella

Cavy Slave

Could it have been a false pregnancy coupled with growth, digestive system, and a deep desire to see pups moving?

I suppose. I wish people would not discount what I saw and would instead help me figure out what might have happened. I had zero desire to see pups moving when I did, it caught me completely off-guard actually *shrugs* The consensus seems to be they were never pregnant and what I and so many others saw was all a figment of our imaginations. I guess that will have to be good enough.

slendermella

Cavy Slave

Is there any way to delete this thread? I don't enjoy not being taken seriously.

pinky

Cavy Slave

If they're short haired, you might have just seen the food moving through their digestive tracts. My second pregnancy was high risk and I would have to drink glucose and track the number of kicks I felt or saw. What I often thought were kicks was actually my stomach and intestines moving food. Kind of gross, but true. Could be the same thing with the guinea pigs. It would be highly unlikely for two to spontaneously abort at the same time and you would find signs of it in the cage.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
What happened to my girls? Help me understand...I'm so lost...

[MENTION=31195]slendermella[/MENTION] I'd be full on freaking out too if that happened to me! I can afford it and I'm a hypochondriac piggie mom so I'd be calling the vet and taking them in just to be sure they are okay.

porkchophamster

Cavy Slave

Is there any way to delete this thread? I don't enjoy not being taken seriously.

It's not that people aren't taking you seriously. It's just not possible for 2 pigs to either have babies or for them to disappear without any kind of signs in the cage so it's unlikely that they were pregnant. Everyone here is being extremely helpful and trying to help you figure out what happened because it is very strange indeed.

slendermella

Cavy Slave

But food can making kicking movements? I can agree that maybe the rolling sort of movements could somehow have been food...but kicks? Sorry, I'm frustrated. It's difficult for me to understand this. I know what matters is that they are healthy and I honestly don't care that we aren't having pups, I just am struggling to understand. I'm a logical person and this just doesn't fit for me. *sigh*

pinky

Cavy Slave

But food can making kicking movements? I can agree that maybe the rolling sort of movements could somehow have been food...but kicks? Sorry, I'm frustrated. It's difficult for me to understand this. I know what matters is that they are healthy and I honestly don't care that we aren't having pups, I just am struggling to understand. I'm a logical person and this just doesn't fit for me. *sigh*

Yes. I thought I saw little feet against my stomach and sharp jabs. The technician set me straight. Guinea pigs pass food very quickly through their digestive tracts so it's not only possible, it makes perfect sense.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave

We're not, not taking you seriously. We are genuinely trying to answer your question. I've never had a guinea pig give birth, but I grew up on large horse farm (over 100+ horses for most my childhood). So, I've been around a lot of pregnant animals. We had a mare we swore was pregnant, she grew huge, and even developed an udder. We saw movement, kicks, repositioning, etc. After she was way overdue we had the vet out for an ultrasound and there was no baby. It was a false pregnancy. When you "know" something is true your eyes/mind tells you what you expect to hear.

slendermella

Cavy Slave

So these movements are something I should be seeing in all my pigs (and continue to see with those two)? I never do, so is that possible the sign of a problem? One of my pigs has long hair and one has very thick hair, so perhaps that is why I don't with those, but the other three (including the psycho sisters) have very short hair. Could the lack of those movements be something to worry about?

slendermella

Cavy Slave

And food can do sharp kicking like movements? This is surprising to me. When I was pregnant, my babies did rolling movements, pushing movements, and quick kicks. I saw the same in the pigs. Quick kicks with digestion? Good grief I am glad our bodies do not perform that way.

I agree with the placebo effect and know that can easily be true. It wasn't just me, though, but perhaps everyone else saw the same digestive movements I did.

pinky

Cavy Slave

So these movements are something I should be seeing in all my pigs (and continue to see with those two)? I never do, so is that possible the sign of a problem? One of my pigs has long hair and one has very thick hair, so perhaps that is why I don't with those, but the other three (including the psycho sisters) have very short hair. Could the lack of those movements be something to worry about?
Since they're sisters, they probably have similar body builds and intestinal tracts. I have a male that has always looked like he's pregnant. We laugh about it because he has a large, pear shape. But, no, he's all boy.....I wouldn't even worry about it. It was easy to assume they were pregnant by what all of you saw, but I don't think that it's necessarily unusual since I experienced the same thing. I'm slender so it was probably more noticeable on me than on someone who weighed more.

lissie

Administrator
Cavy Gazer

Is it possible that they had stillborn, and your husband didn't tell you?

slendermella

Cavy Slave

Is it possible that they had stillborn, and your husband didn't tell you?
No, he would not do that. Definitely not an option.

pinky

Cavy Slave

The other possibility could be gas bubbles. Guinea pigs with bloat have stomachs that expand like a balloon. When the bubbles burst, you can feel them with your hands. Sometimes you can even hear it. The fact that your husband was feeding them while you were sick could have resulted in a change in their eating habits.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.