Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Weight gain

slendermella

Cavy Slave
They were 4ish months when I got them.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
That's odd, since your beginning weights were comparable to much younger pigs than 4 month old pigs. Perhaps the pet store gave you the wrong ages.

When did you get them?

slendermella

Cavy Slave
I got them March 11th.

slendermella

Cavy Slave
That's odd, since your beginning weights were comparable to much younger pigs than 4 month old pigs. Perhaps the pet store gave you the wrong ages.

When did you get them?

I was at work when I replied, hence the short answer. You are right that their beginning weights corresponded more accurately with younger pigs. To be honest, I don't trust that the pet store really knew how old they were. I had posted on a forum (can't remember if it was this one or another) about their weights putting them closer to 3 months old instead of 4 months old, but I was told that guinea pigs come in all sizes so perhaps my girls were just petite. Since I can't argue with that, I just left their age at the lesser number of what I was told (they had said 4-5 months old, so I went with a touch over 4). When it all boils down, does it make a significant difference if they are really a month or so younger than what I think? Does the 250g gain in 24 days seem like not much of a gain? She seems huge to me. If I hadn't seen so many pictures of bowling ball guinea pigs, I would say she is humongous. Since I HAVE seen those pics, she doesn't seem so big (everything is relative).

I first noticed she was getting "saddlebags" on March 22nd. She started putting weight on MUCH more quickly than her sister. I let her do a lot of floor time with me and since I use a basket to scoop her up, I didn't hold her close to me a ton and so it's possible I could have felt movement sooner but didn't have the opportunity to do so.

Just wanted to give you some extra details, though I am not sure if that helps out any.

slendermella

Cavy Slave
The first photo is March 23rd, when I noticed her saddle bags, and the second photo is from last night. Slight difference, yes?

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
To me she looks like a normal piggie.

slendermella

Cavy Slave

jinxie

Cavy Slave
I am no expert but that first picture looks very skinny. When you got them maybe they were really underweight and now they are filling out due to the pregnancy and a better diet but cause they were so skinny it looks just a little pudgy. Like I said this is just my guess i'm no expert. I hope everything goes well in both pregnancies. There is a lot of great info on here to help you through it all. I am glad that you are paying such close attention your piggies and weighing them. That shows that you are a good responsible owner. Keep us all updated on how everything goes!

slendermella

Cavy Slave
They had really good flesh when I got them. This photo is from the day her "saddlebags" popped out. Before that, she was smooth on the sides and didn't look so anorexic. I agree she looks underweight here, with the other photo next to it. But they both had great flesh. I have an underweight guinea pig right now that I am working with to gain weight, so I am familiar with that unfortunate situation. My guess is that they were simply younger than I was told.

slendermella

Cavy Slave
Here is their first photo, March 11th, so you can see that they weren't boney little bubs :)

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
She wishes you were right! The gyrating babies in her tummy say otherwise, though.

LOL.. 3 of my guys are bigger then her and started out like her skinny picture, they were young too.

slendermella

Cavy Slave
LOL.. 3 of my guys are bigger then her.

Oh it seems most have larger piggies than mine! I am hoping that the fact that she isn't massive means this pregnancy won't be as hard on her as it is on other pigs. All I can do is cross my fingers :/

slendermella

Cavy Slave
Perhaps tonight's photo is more convincing...

Attachments

uploadfromtaptalk1397794780633.jpg

slendermella

Cavy Slave
What happened to my girls? Help me understand...I'm so lost...

I had two pregnant guinea pigs. They are sisters. I weighed them weekly, I took videos of the pups moving, my family sat by the cage and watched them move in their tummies. We had Cub Scout den meetings at our house and the kids would quietly sit and watch the babies moving more and more. They gained about 70-80g each week. They ate like crazy, they slept a lot. They went past when I assumed they were due (they were pregnant before I had them). Then it all changed...and I don't understand.

I got very sick this past weekend. Violently ill. My husband had to feed and care for the pigs for me because I was basically married to my bathroom and kept myself locked in my bedroom (which, by the way, did not spare my family because we have all been through it now...). I saw them Friday night and they looked like they have for weeks. I saw them again Monday morning and they looked smaller. I didn't notice the pear shape at all. I searched the cage for pups, nothing. I looked for movement, nothing. I felt for movement, nothing. In either pig. Both were eating, drinking, popcorning, having a great time...but neither seemed pregnant in the least bit. I searched the fleece for bloody marks or any sign of births having occurred thinking maybe they had them and ate them. Nothing. Nothing at all. I swear, nothing. I weighed them and one gained 75g and one had gained 80g since the preview week. Nothing has changed. Except the pups have simply vanished from both girls.

What happened? I didn't ask for them to be pregnant. I didn't want them to be pregnant. I wasn't dying for pups. But I don't understand. I don't understand where they went or what happened to them. They had to be at LEAST 8 weeks pregnant, but likely more. Can anyone help me? I thought I'd be relieved, and initially I was, but now I find myself not being able to swallow the fact that I just don't understand. My pigs seem absolutely fine. They seem no worse for the wear. Their poops look great, pee is normal, they are running and playing, eating and drinking...I haven't done a ton with them the past few days because I am still not completely well yet, so I can't say whether I see movement now or not.

I sound like a complete lunatic. I feel like one too. Thank heavens over 20 people saw pups moving or I'd really feel clinical.

Any insight at all? :sad:

pinky

Cavy Slave
Re: What happened to my girls? Help me understand...I'm so lost...

Are you positive they were pregnant? I don't think you'd even be able to tell at 8 weeks.

slendermella

Cavy Slave

Well, like I said, we have been seeing babies move in both their tummies for a while now. Actually, since April 9th. Obvious, huge movements. If it wasn't pups, then I honestly have no clue what it possibly could have been. Kicks, rolls, all kinds of stuff. Made the pigs jump when the kicks were really hard.

Also, *at least* 8 weeks. But we thought they were 10 weeks the week of April 25th...that is when we thought they would give birth. There is another thread on their pregnancies on here.

pinky

Cavy Slave

Did your husband notice anything different while you were sick? I had to look up guinea pig gestation period because the only time I ever had a pregnant guinea pig was about 20 years ago when one we brought home had babies three days later. We didn't even know she was pregnant. It would be odd for two to lose their babies at the same time so I don't know. I'd see if your husband saw any changes in behavior or anything unusual.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Young pigs gain weight like crazy, and because their digestive tracts are so active, it can seem like pups moving. I'd bet they weren't pregnant at all.

slendermella

Cavy Slave

Young pigs gain weight like crazy, and because their digestive tracts are so active, it can seem like pups moving. I'd bet they weren't pregnant at all.
Really? The "pups" would push against my hand when I would have it cupped around her side/belly, is that also something that normal digestive movement can do? And the kicking? If it was normal, then honestly I am a bit disturbed and wonder if they need a vet visit for that kind of activity.

Edited to add: Can you physically see movement in the belly with normal digestive activity? I mean obvious movement that would make them reposition to get comfortable. Kicks that were very clear. The more time progressed, the move obvious the movement became and the more it seemed the pigs would be constantly repositioning. My other pigs never have anything like that happen to them at all.

slendermella

Cavy Slave

Did your husband notice anything different while you were sick? I had to look up guinea pig gestation period because the only time I ever had a pregnant guinea pig was about 20 years ago when one we brought home had babies three days later. We didn't even know she was pregnant. It would be odd for two to lose their babies at the same time so I don't know. I'd see if your husband saw any changes in behavior or anything unusual.

He said they were acting normal, which lately has been just sleeping in their kitchen where they have easy access to their food and water. He gave them their salad twice a day, like usual, and spent some time talking to them while they were in their cage. He didn't pick them up or get them out of the cage, because that isn't his thing, but he said that everything seemed like business as usual.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.