Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

We made our first cage, come see!

Sabrinasmommy

Cavy Slave
We finished our first cage this week. It is not completely finished. It does need a hidey house but she hides under the ramp that she can't use yet. There is a box full of hay in there it is under the ramp also. I would really love some ideas on how to spiffy it up. I am also going to be going through the photo gallery looking for ideas. Thanks for any advice/imput.

Well, I can't seem to figure out how to cut and paste here still but if you click on my gallery you can see pictures there.

I like it, but personally I'd change out the top for wire shelving. Also, maybe cover the ramp with something, make it more grippy & presentable looking. I like it though, it looks like a good size to me, but I'm fairly new here so you can disregard everything I'm saying if you want. =o)

Your cage looks great, Sabrinasmommy!
Maybe it's an idea to move the ramp a little more to the middle, so the pigs can run laps around it?

I like the ramp on the side, but that is just my opinion. Where is the hay? And make sure that you have hidey houses.

I did go ahead and cover the ramp. I think I need to make some kind of guard on either side of it because she likes to jump off the side and I don't think that's good. I haven't bought a store brand hidey house but I took a box and cut a piece off the side and she goes in there from time to time. There is hay and it is under the ramp in a box :)

Very nice cage. Don't worry if you feel it's not exactly how you want it. You will find that you will be making changes down the road. We all started the same way and making improvements along the way. By the way, did I notice a TREAT STICK in the cage. If i did you shouldn't give your piggy this treat. They are not good for them. If it wasn't, I appologize.

It was a treat stick but someone else had mentioned it wasn't good for them so I did remove it. What kinds of treats do they like? I've tried 2 different kaytee treats and she doesn't like either one. She never plays with that chew treat I have for her either. Any suggestions?

I give them alfalfa cubes or alfalfa logs as a treat. They are more on the nourishing side. I also give them apple branches. I use carrots as a treat, approx. 3 small pieces a week. Every day I hide some treats and they know to go hunting. They love it and it gives them something to do. I

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.