Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fresh Food Washing Veggies/Fruits Correctly

Skippie

Cavy Slave
How do you wash your veggies? Do you soak them or use soap or do you simply rinse them off before feeding them to your pigs? Also, do you buy organic veggies for your pigs?

I am concerned about all the chemicals my pigs could be taking in and am wondering how effective rinsing them is.

Just rinse them; wash them the same way you would do if you were the one who's going to eat it. I buy organic and not organic, depends on what's available. :)

I use this product called veggie rinse for all of my familys veggies( including piggies) i got it at walmart it s usually by the produce.

I usually rinse thoroughly with cold water.

If it is Lettuce or the like, I peel back the top layers of leaves before rinsing.

I wouldn't use soap for sure. I cut up what i'm going to give them and put in in their bowl and then hold it in the bowl with my hand as i fill it with water and drain it, give or take four times (fill and drain). Quick tip, i do it this way so as to not wet anything i'm not giving them right away because once you wet them, especially lettuce, it wilts and degrades much faster, just FYI.

No soap. And I'm pretty sure soaking doesn't help.

There are vegetable rinses, but I don't know how effective they are at getting rid of chemicals on the produce.

I don't know of any way, short of growing your own, to avoid the chemicals. I do sometimes buy organic, but have seen too many articles about organically labeled food being grown non-organically to really trust those labels. I do avoid produce grown outside the US, because bad as ours is, it's worse in some Central and South American countries.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.