Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Washing fleece with other laundry

zaylea

Cavy Slave
I wash my fleece and pads on their own, because it adds up to a load anyway. It shouldn't really be necessary to change it everyday. If you have a good absorbant layer and prepare the fleece properly before hand, you should be able to get away with at least 3 days before having to change it, although most people seem to get away with 5-7. Five days is the limit for my 2x5 with 2 sows. Once or twice a day, I scoop up all the poop with a ladle (a piggy cage designated ladle haha.) I wash everything with an unscented detergent, and put white vinegar where the softener goes. The vinegar helps to neutralize the urine smell. Afterwards, I do a "quick wash" cycle with bleach and hot water, then leave the door open for it to air out (also, if you have a front loader, it's important to wipe out the rubber seal around the door.) Hanging odor crystals by the cage may also help with the smell.

Llamasomething

Cavy Slave
I wash my fleece with towels on their own. I wouldn't recommend newspaper because it won't absorb enough, and that will cause the fleece to be wet, completely defeating the purpose of the fleece. If I accidentally only put one towel layer under their hay area, the fleece will end up damp because the towel will be soaked and cannot absorb anymore, and I have to change the whole fleece.

I would also advise against washing the fleece with anything you don't want guinea pig hair on. I've left fleece in the dryer for a few HOURS before to try and get it to suck up all the hair for me, and even then they still come out hairy. Especially if you have a sick piggy who is shedding more than normal, the lint-trap in my dryer has been so full of hair I've had to change it twice each time I'm putting my fleece through.

I just use towels I found at a thrift store, and wal-mart actually sells fleece for sewing, it comes in a package and it's about 50"x60" which works out almost exactly to the dimensions of my cage (3x4 cubes) so it works out wonderfully! It's also waaay cheaper than buying fleece by the yard/meter at a fabric store (at least where I live.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.