Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Washing Fleece in the Washing Machine

arionat799

Cavy Slave
So, I talked to my dad some more about fleece and I know that I've already asked this in another post but It'd be clearer here because it's mashed in w/ a bunch of other stuff....So anyways, the thing is: My dad says he wouldn't let the fleece or towels be washed in the washing machine because they have "rodent" pee on them. How do I explain to him that that is ridiculous? -lol- thanks.

pinky

Cavy Slave
When I finish washing my fleece, I run an empty wash cycle with a cup of vinegar to disinfect it. People wash diapers with baby poop and pee on them all the time. The key is to disinfect the washer afterwards.

arionat799

Cavy Slave
When I finish washing my fleece, I run an empty wash cycle with a cup of vinegar to disinfect it. People wash diapers with baby poop and pee on them all the time. The key is to disinfect the washer afterwards.

Thanks!! I'll try telling him that! Any other ever so helpful suggestions? lol

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
My parents would feel most comfortable if I did what [MENTION=15081]pinky[/MENTION] did, but with water being a limited resource we try to conserve as much as possible. Instead, I take a Swiffer and remove the hair and other debris first, then I use white vinegar (a natural disinfectant) and a rag and wipe down the inside of the washer.

pinky

Cavy Slave
My parents would feel most comfortable if I did what [MENTION=15081]pinky[/MENTION] did, but with water being a limited resource we try to conserve as much as possible. Instead, I take a Swiffer and remove the hair and other debris first, then I use white vinegar (a natural disinfectant) and a rag and wipe down the inside of the washer.

We have a private well so we don't use municipal water. We still have a water bill, though, and it's based on an estimate of the amount of water we release into the sewer. Another option would be to run a load of whites with bleach and detergent after the guinea pig laundry. The bleach will disinfect the washer. I've heard some people will wash a load of rugs or rags after the guinea pig laundry so they aren't wasting water.... gym shoes are another thing to wash.

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I just wash my fleece seperate from the other laundry and wash out the washing machine.. Sorry I'm not very helpful. My parents don't mind me washing the fleece in the machine.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
May be you could take the piggy laundry to a local laundry mat instead? Ditto what others said. I live in an apt and it costs 2.25 to wash so I just wipe down the drum with vinegar after I'm done washing my laundry.

arionat799

Cavy Slave
I just wash my fleece seperate from the other laundry and wash out the washing machine.. Sorry I'm not very helpful. My parents don't mind me washing the fleece in the machine.
Lol no that IS helpful! What do u use/how do u wash it out?

arionat799

Cavy Slave
Ok, another question for all of you that are going to say u wash the washer: What do u use/how do you wash it? :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
I use regular laundry detergent with a cup of vinegar. I dry it without any fabric softener. I was washing it on the heavy duty cycle but my uhaul padding I put under the fleece was falling apart so I wash my fleece pads using the heavy duty cycle and the uhaul padding on a normal cycle, both with warm wash and warm rinse.

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave

Krelean

Cavy Slave
I make fleece liners. I wash all my fleece before I sew and I wash in ALL free and clear. Washing pig bedding is really no different than washing clothing that a baby threw up on, when a child wets their pants, or even when someone spills food. A washer is just that, something used to rinse out material and clean it with soap. The washer goes thru several cycles, a wash and a rinse and then spin and sometimes a second rinse and spin. Vinegar or even bleach after washing their items will remove the smell and DISINFECT the machine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.