Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Washable bed pads vs Uhaul pads

kanojochan

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone~
So I was enjoying some lap time with my piggies - 2 layers of fleece on top of a puppy pad. Buns did end up peeing during lap time. I didn't even know anything had happened until I felt her hind legs were wet. I was really surprised by how dry the fleece was for something that had just happened! Made me want to experiment with the fleece again, especially since I've had to resort to taking Benadryl for my allergies from the shavings and hay.

So I was doing some research on fleece bedding and found that most people use U-haul pads cut to size. Other than price, are there other benefits to using Uhaul pads over using a waterproof bed pad specifically made for urinary incontinence? I'm under the impression that urine could still soak through the bottom of the Uhaul pad and stay wet for days. The bed pads are made specifically to keep fluids from soaking through the bottom. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this :]

I'm sure I will have more questions when I actually get around to making the bedding :] Please bear with me!

Thanks!

kanojochan

Cavy Slave
Ooops... should've made the thread prefix "liners" instead of "fleece"... :p

oldnewie

Cavy Slave
hopefully you'll get some replies soon, but in meantime I suggest you look up previous threads about uhauls and incintinence bed pads. With the bed pads, the advantage is that generally that's all you need as bedding, because the surface wicks urine into the absorbent core. If you wanted you could use a bottom waterproof layer under the pads.
The uhauls are used as the absorbent layers (using 2 layers) with fleece on top. Your piggies shouldn't be wet if the fleece is wicking properly. You don't need 2 layers of fleece on top. Cheers.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.