Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nails/Nail Trimming Was trying to trim nails, whole nail came out. :(

adrianf

Cavy Slave
My other half was cutting my other guinea pig's nails just now and it was a curlier one. He pulled so hard away that as she was trying to cut it, the whole nail came out.

She's currently running it under warm water and has Quick Stop (styptic powder) and it is bleeding.

What should we do next?

Warm water will make it bleed more as it increases blood flow. The best thing is to apply pressure to the toe until the bleeding stops. Once the bleeding stops take a close look and let us know what the damage is.

Warm water will make it bleed more as it increases blood flow. The best thing is to apply pressure to the toe until the bleeding stops. Once the bleeding stops take a close look and let us know what the damage is.

Thanks for the reply.

She used cool water and has gotten it to stop. It looks like they're may be another nail still in the bed. I'm guessing, from what I've been able to quickly find online, it's a good idea to put antibiotic ointment on it for a few days. I guess we'll know more in time? It's just scary to hear about it while I was at work. :(

Okay glad it is not bleeding as much anymore. Please be careful with antibiotic ointment as guinea pigs can easily lick it off their feet. Antibiotics can also disrupt their gut which can cause other problems. It is better to get a vet's opinion if it seems like the toe is injured.

Post a photo of the toe and perhaps we can offer more advice.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.