Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rehoming Was I right to do this?

mjlesy

Cavy Slave
I just posted an ad on the adoption forum of this site tonight, and I got a reply from a woman who said that she wanted to adopt my two baby girls. She said that she had 3 children - the oldest cared for her rabbits well, and the middle one wants a guinea pig and they were willing to care for the other guinea pig for their youngest child. I replied back to her saying that I was hesitant to adopt my babies out when they are to be a child's responsibility. Only because a child can lose interest and the parents may not want to or have the time to care for the guinea pigs. I also asked her how she would care for them was well as some other basic care questions. I thanked her for her inquiry and invited her to reply back with how the guinea pigs would be included in their "family" life.

Was I wrong to be hesitant to this person? I just want the best possible home for my baby girls and don't want them to be dumped outside a building or re-homed because the children have lost interest. I would like to know your thoughts.:eek:

You're right to ask alot of questions. Those are your piggie's children. A good home is a must.
I see quite often people putting rabbits and other animals on craigslist because thier child has lost interest.
You should also see if she can send you pics every now and then. Not only to check and see how your girlies are doing but to also see them grow.
By the way, they are adorable.

I don't think you can be too careful. Another good question is what will they do if their child loses interest in the the guinea pigs. I think some people impulsively get a new pet without thinking it through so by asking those questions, it'll make them realize it's a commitment.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.