Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Keeping Warm warm enough?

madmommy

Cavy Slave
We just got our piggie a few days ago. We thought we knew enough (i.e. had read many articles online, etc.) before buying (yes, we went to a pet store). So please forgive a lot of inexperienced questions.

Until we found this site, we thought the cage we purchased at the pet store was adequate. I'm sure that happens a lot. But after seeing the C&C cages, we made one to use for most of the day time. At night we've been putting him back in the smaller cage (and I think he likes it, he popcorns like crazy in there). Ours is a small house, but we've found room in the family room for a 2x3 C&C. Our question is, will that be warm enough? It's on the floor right now, not much room to elevate it. We figured the smaller cage in the bedroom at night would be more comfortable temperature-wise.

Like I said earlier, we would have done a lot of things differently had we seen this site first. Like adopting instead of buying. Making a cage instead of buying. Etc. Just trying to make a better go of it now after many mistakes.

Help?

I would also like to know how cold is too cold. I was also concerned about the temperature in our TV room. We turn down the furnace at night and that room gets down to about 59 deg. F at night. I was so stressed about it I bought an oil filled heater for my piggies' room, the one we had with a fan freaked out the girls when it came on. Our house is new so not at all drafty, but I still packed old pillows between their C&C cage and the wall. I built a platform out of extra grids so I could get the cage off the floor. I give them extra fleece blankets in their houses. I find they are out and about more if I keep their room at 63 - 65 deg. F and I feel way more relaxed knowing they are comfortable. My girls like each other but not enough to cuddle up together.

I was lucky enough to find this site before I got my girls or I would have also bought the biggest pet store cage I could find. I haven't had guinea pigs for over 40 years and guinea pig care has sure changed since then. I hope you enjoy your new addition. I have learned so much from the information and experiences shared on this forum. Welcome.

Guinea pigs originated in the Andes, so they're much more suited to cold weather than to hot (unless they're skinnies, and that's a whole other ball game). I mean, think about it, they're just balls of fat and fur, and are well able to keep warm. In fact, there's a recent thread on here about a guinea pig who was out in the snow and sub-freezing temperatures for several days before someone was able to catch him, and he did fine.

We keep our house at 65 degrees in the winter, and our pigs have no problems at all. If a pig's room drops down much below 60, or has drafts, I'd cover the cage with a blanket at night, and I'd make sure they have warm hideys if they want them. Other than that, I wouldn't worry.

I keep my house at a steady 60 F all winter long, and it never bothered the piggies. Even with the cage in the open living room they'd still lounge out in the open spots a lot of the time.

It's usually never an issue, unless there is a draft which should be avoided as much as possible.
My thinner peruvian is more sensitive to the cold, even though she has insanely thick hair. I personally prefer my house cold & just solve it with a warm padded fleece hidey, or a patch of vet bed(reflects heat) under the fleece forest.

Our heater went out the other day and it was about 30ish degrees in here until the sun came up. I covered the girl's loft and put a piece of fleece to burrow into. In the main level I gave them their pigloos back and put their cozy sacks inside the igloos. In the morning, one pig was in the loft laying on top of the fleece, and the other was in a cozy sack. They seemed completely fine. The rule of thumb is if you are cold, they are probably cold. Just an fyi, but we have heaters now thankfully :)

Thanks everyone for the info. Good to know. I just won't show this thread to my husband. He never believed my girls needed extra heat, but after me worrying and stressing for a couple of days he knew his life would be much easier if we just got a heater. I pay the bills so he doesn't need to know how much my electricity bill has gone up this winter!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.