Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Brands Want opinions on brand

Earausch

Cavy Slave
Today I went to my local feed store(Round Butte Seed Growers) They don't have a huge selection of guinea pig food. I found this package that only had pellets in it that said it was for guinea pigs. The brand is Mazuri but it did not say anything about Purina(Which I saw on another thread was okay for pigs) on the bag that I saw. I took some pictures of the package, The little window that you can look at the pellets through, and the ingredients list.
The ingredients are:
Alfalfa meal, soybean meal, ground oats, ground yellow corn, wheat middlings, animal fat preserved with BHA, cane molasses, dicalcium phosphate, ground wheat, calcium carbonate, dried whey, salt, ascorbic acid, magnesiuam oxide, chlorine chloride, DL-methionic, cholecalciferol, vitamin A acetate, di-alpha tocopheryl acetate, calcium pantothenate, niacin supplement, thiamin mononitrate, cyanocobalamin, calcium propionate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, cobalt carbonate, copper sulfate, ferrous carbonate, calcium iodate, manganous oxide, zinc sulfate, zinc oxide. Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein (min.) 18.0%, Crude Fat (min.) 4.0%, Crude Fiber (max.) 16.0%, Ash (max.) 9.0%, Ascorbic Acid (min.) 613 mg/lb, Vitamin E (min.) 35 IU/lb.

I don't have pigs yet, I am just looking for food and hay locally until I am able to order from oxbow or a better brand. The thing that has me concerned is the alfalfa meal. Any help is welcome.

Another question I had was about a brand of timothy hay. Is Nature's Cafe Timothy Hay good? I noticed the bag I pulled from the shelf looked like it had the top of the hay stalks, I don't know how to describe what they looked like other than similar to the top of a wheat stalk. Again any help is welcome. :)

I wouldn't get it. The fourth ingredient is corn which isn't good for guinea pigs. Is ordering online an option for you?

Not yet it isn't. Possibly when I am ready to get pigs it'll be an option.

The site I was recommended was kmshayloft so when I start ordering from them I'll get both hay and pellets there.

kmshayloft and Oxbow are both great! I know my local Tractor Supply carries Oxbow so that's what I always get.

I know it's limiting when you can't order online and no one carries good products. Good luck!

I was told that you can get prepaid cards at walmart you can use online, so I am going to look into those when I'm ready for pigs.

How old are your pigs? Their age is the most important thing in determining what type of pellets to buy.

If they are under 6 months of age or pregnant they need an alfalfa based pellet. Older, and they need a timothy based pellet. Either way, I would go with KMS Hayloft, but make sure you purchase what is proper for your pigs.

If you use prepaid cards from Walmart, you're going to get crappy hay and pellets.

You are very close to Kleenmama, so you can probably get her hay and pellets cheaper than 95% of the people on this board. Go to (broken link removed) and look at the pellets and hay.

Remember that when you buy in a store, they've already added the shipping in so you're only paying one price. When you buy online, you're paying only for the product and the shipping is added on. The only way to compare store-bought with that bought online is to figure the cost per pound. Still, I live nearly 2,000 miles from Kleenmama, and my costs for her hay are about $1 per pound, while at any store around that sells it in bags, it's closer to $4 per pound. I also use her pellets because I think they're the best on the market.

Prepaid cards from Walmart can be used anywhere.. not just Walmart. It's a visa card. I go shopping at the mall all the time and get my nails done with the Walmart Visa. You can use the card to order KMS or whatever you want. FYI :)

Thanks, I am thinking just getting my checking account started is going to be the easiest option. Thanks for all of the input

OK, my bad. Sorry! I never heard of those..... I thought you meant a Walmart gift card.

OK, my bad. Sorry! I never heard of those..... I thought you meant a Walmart gift card.

LOL. They have those too! But the Visa cards can be used anywhere including online purchases. I buy those for my family for Christmas and Birthdays and they can use it wherever they please. :]

Oh wow, I would definitely stay away from those! They have animal fat in them. Guineas should not have any animal products! I've heard KMS is wonderful, although I've never tried them since I'm Canadian :)

Oh, I did not read tht far into the list. This is exactly why I ask, I have a bad habit of skimming through things. Thank you so much

Are the timothy choice pellets from kmshaylofts a good quality pellet? I noticed my pigs enjoy the colored pieces of food more for some reason, would they get used to the change or could I add something to it. Compared to paying $20 for 18 pounds I could pay $30 for 50 lbs! Sounds like a great deal to me but idk!

Are the timothy choice pellets from kmshaylofts a good quality pellet? I noticed my pigs enjoy the colored pieces of food more for some reason, would they get used to the change or could I add something to it.

Kleenmama's hayloft (kmshaylofts) is absolutely, hands down, the best brand for pellets and hay, in my opinion. The "coloured bits" in your current pellet brand is not good for them at all. It is junk food for guinea pigs. They pick it out because "it's like candy is to a toddler" with no nutritional value whatsoever. Here is a link on diet below.
https://www.guinealynx.info/diet.html

It is also bad for them for a host of other reasons as well...just to name a few: They are more prone to diabetes and teeth problems later on. When we want to give our piggies "treats" we give them occasional small amounts of fruit, which they absolutely love !

Here is Ly&Pigs (our diet nutritional expert) veggie charts and sample daily menus:https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...y-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html

Sample menus:https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/diet-nutrition/24770-sample-veggie-menus.html

Hope all this helps guide you both ! Please take the time to read these wonderful labour of love, links, totally worth your time and investment !:)

Last edited:
I have ly's chart ready to be printed out for when I get pigs to go shopping with :) and all of Ly's stuff has been very very informative and answered questions i didn't know I had

You can use Mazuri pellets. They are the third in line behind Oxbow and KMS. There are 2 kind, one with seeds one without. You want the one without seeds. Plain pellets.
IF you cannot use oxbow or KMS as your first choice Mazuri is not a bad pellet.
I too cannot use online. I have used Muzuri plain pellets for 6 years.
It was thru this site 6 years ago I was told about Mazuri plain pellets.

Last edited:
Kristen, KMS pellets are the best on the market, in my opinion.

I read over all the information and it does indeed look like the best choice for my piggies and for alot better pric as well. Looks like im ordering some! :D

Found out that to ship KMS to me for 10lbs of pellets, and 45 lbs of hay, total I am gonna pay less than 100$ It is totally worth it to me to buy through KMS than to try to find something locally

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.