Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Wall Size-- How Important Is 6 Inches?

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
I have a foster Guinea Pig and have a possible adopter who has a 2x3 C&C cage. WELL, she has a 2x3 for one Piggy, and needs to extend to a 2x4. I have all of the materials she would need and I am willing to give them to her-- BUT, the Coroplast walls couldn't be 6 inches or else I wouldn't have enough Coroplast.

1: How important are the 6 inch walls if it means giving them the required amount of space?

2: Why do the walls need to be 6 inches anyway? I never really understood. I guess to keep stuff in, but why 6 inches?

3: What do you consider the absolute MINIMUM size walls? I don't have walls in my Play Pen, but I do in my actual cage. It seems to work good......

_

So, thanks for replies in advance!

They don't absolutely have to be six inches high. I think it's just so the walls are high enough to keep the pigs from kicking stuff out of the cage. The walls on my pigs' cage are only four inches high and I have had no problems whatsoever. Some people use shower curtains or tarp if they don't have Coro and most of those don't even have walls. (Well, if you're not counting the grid walls, that is.)

They don't absolutely have to be six inches high. I think it's just so the walls are high enough to keep the pigs from kicking stuff out of the cage. The walls on my pigs' cage are only four inches high and I have had no problems whatsoever.

Thanks! Helps to know.

Anybody else have opinions?

I started with 6 inches as that is what I read everywhere but then I cut mine down to about 3 inches as I am using fleece and there's nothing to get kicked out. Perhaps the 6 inches is more important if you are using loose bedding. I imagine 6 inches was some arbitrary figure someone decided on. Does the potential adopting individual use fleece? I think another advantage of lower walls is so the piggies can see out better.

I have girl piggies and sometimes they spray pee straight backwards. They need 6" walls. :)

@ThisLittlePig

It won't be for the whole cage, just an add-on of 4 grids to make her 2x3 a 2x4. So does that still apply?

@Raine59

I just sent her another email but forgot to ask if she used Fleece. I will ask next time we talk. Good point. :)

@ThisLittlePig

It won't be for the whole cage, just an add-on of 4 grids to make her 2x3 a 2x4. So does that still apply?

I'm not sure it would matter that much. How high will the walls be? I think finding out what kind of bedding she's using is probably more important.

They can be any height you want. I prefer higher sides so they don't toss poop or hay out of the cage but you can just sweep up if they get a little messy.

One of my cages only has 4" on the long sides and 6" on the short sides (width wise vs length wise) and he does just fine with the 4" sides. The biggest issue would be the bedding flying out if they kicked it, which isn't an issue if you use fleece - and as long as they're big enough they can't stick their head out the side of the cage (which should be baby proofed anyway if this is the case) I can't see why less than 6" would be an issue.

I tried sending her an e-mail via my IPod, but as I am still trying to figure that darn thing out, I guess half of that message was cut off. So, I sent her an e-mail just now asking about her bedding.

:)

She uses Carefresh Naturals, not Fleece.....

Is there a way I could cut 6 inches or so off of 1 piece of Coro and add it to another?

She uses Carefresh Naturals, not Fleece.....

Is there a way I could cut 6 inches or so off of 1 piece of Coro and add it to another?

I don't see why not - although I'd suggest cutting 7" so you can fold it under and have them overlap. Be sure if you tape them together (or if she's taping them together) duct tape isn't used anywhere where the GPs can reach it because they will eat it. I suggest using packing tape, on the outside of the coroplast rather than the inside.

I don't see why not - although I'd suggest cutting 7" so you can fold it under and have them overlap. Be sure if you tape them together (or if she's taping them together) duct tape isn't used anywhere where the GPs can reach it because they will eat it. I suggest using packing tape, on the outside of the coroplast rather than the inside.

I see.

What do you mean by overlapping them? Like have a 7 inch piece for the wall and fold it under the base?

My 2x3 has 3 inch walls and I've never had any problems, BUT I will say this: the cage is elevated on a train table... One time I was cleaning the table, and had the cage on the ground, and Ella just walked right out through one of the squares! I was shocked because it didn't seem like she could fit through there, but she stretched her body just right to escape. She never tries to escape from atop the train table... good sense of edges.

One time I was cleaning the table, and had the cage on the ground, and Ella just walked right out through one of the squares! I was shocked because it didn't seem like she could fit through there, but she stretched her body just right to escape.

What size grids do you use? The recommended grids have 1 inch spaces, however there are some grids with 2-3 inch spaces which have been known to cause injury. j

As far as wall height goes, it doesn't really matter, especially if you are using fleece, unless you have young guinea pigs. My cage has very low walls, because I've expanded it twice without buying new coroplast. I went from a 2x4 to a 3x4, and then to a 3x5 by simply lowering the walls. I purposefully didn't cut down the coro when I first built the cage because I knew that I would be expanding it in the future. My pigs are good about keeping poop in their litter boxes so I don't ever have any problems with that.

2 inch squares. Got these from Target.

2 inch squares. Got these from Target.

Yeah, those are the dangerous ones. You could either build the coro up higher, or replace the grids with the other type. I got mine from Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Alternatively, you could overlap your current grids so that the openings are not so big.

I see.

What do you mean by overlapping them? Like have a 7 inch piece for the wall and fold it under the base?

Yeah, so you'd have a piece 7" by whatever width you need, and you'd score it so 1" would go under the other piece of coroplast and the wall would be the other 6" - does that make sense??

Mostly this would be to keep it from leaking any excess urine or cleaning supplies when the coro is cleaned - and keep the tape from being chewed on if they dig in the corners...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.