Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Waiting Nervously for Application Results...

Roo99

Cavy Slave
OK, about 2 hours ago I emailed the application to adopt 2 boars from my local rescue to the adoption coordinator.

Does anyone else get really uptight about stuff like that? I cannot wait until I hear the news. I so badly want to take home the two boars that I applied for. Anyone have any piggy-related suggestions for passing time/preparing for pigs while I wait?

Perry is the pig in my avatar. He is bonded to Mason, who is a white Abby. I just hope dearly that they will be mine. However, if the rescue decides against it, then that is their choice. I know that they will choose what's best for the piggies.

Also, any suggestions on where to get chews and pig-safe toys? These two boars come with their own 4x2 cage, though I don't know if it is a C&C or not. It says in their Petfinder ad that they "come with their own cage and accessories". I'm assuming that means waterbottle or pigaloo? What would you consider an accessory?

OK, time to go look at other threads now. Thanks for any input! Do you remember when you applied to adopt your pigs? Were you nervous? How'd you get through it?

When I applied for Benjamin I emailed the woman, and checked my email on my phone ALL THE TIME! I was camping with my family and I was constantly checking. I would get so nervous/excited while my inbox loaded. I must have seemed crazy lol! So yeah, I know how you feel!

Last edited:
I dearly hope that I can just look at their little piggy faces every morning when I wake up! I feel so tense and bouncy!

When I applied for my Frosty I was pretty nervous, and for a second I thought they would rejected me cause I haven't heard from them in 2-3 days lol. I was checking my email 24/7. Alas though I just kept myself busy doing things researching, spending time on this site etc etc.

As far as where to get safe piggy items, for me its checking everywhere online, local stores reading what the item is made out of making sure its natural and safe. No dyes , or things that might hurt my piggy. For me accessories can be anything that isn't food, or the cage ie hidey houses, cuddle cups, bowls, water bottles, lairs, chew toys, and so on so forth.

Turns out that Perry and Mason are already adopted...

However, my rescue just got a lot of sows that are going to the vet tomorrow, and on Saturday I will be going to the home of the adoption coordinator to meet them! I do not know whether I will be taking home a neutered boar and sow or two sows, but either way, I've been approved for adoption! I am elated!

The best part is that I can take them home in a cage, and the rescue will give me the supplies to make a C&C! How cool is that?!

The only problem now, is that I already ordered some piggie snugs from Etsy in a rather boar-ish pattern. Oh well, what the piggies don't know won't hurt them!

I'll also be needing some name ideas. Any tips?

very cool. Pictures will help with the naming process as well as personalities :) You'll know when the name fits.

@Xw0lfie is right -- you'll know when the name fits. But I also find that I only use their given names half the time. Jumble is the sound of the acronym for our Aby, Joy Maria Burrito Lopez (everyone got to pick a name, JMBL). But we often call her Wheeter-Bix, or Tichy Tichy Wheeters (long story) and variations. Picckalo whistles loud and high, but he's also known as The Larger Pig, because he's big, but also because we have to get his fleece cozies / tunnels / cuddle cups in a larger size (for a larger pig). Same story on Oink and Triton.

We end up baby talking a lot too and re-making pop songs and TV themes or commercials to fit them. I guess we're a little touched in the head over piggies!

Congratulations on being approved @Roo99 -- it's going to be a lot of fun!

I have decided on 2 names for sows: Lucy and Ethel! If I get a neutered boar and a sow, the will be Lucy and Ricky. I think that I'd rather get two sows so as not to have a grease gland to deal with, but no matter how it turns out I will have 2 very lovable piggies.

Very excited, I will definitely post some pictures. I will be heading over to the adoption coordinators house at 11 am on Saturday, and she said that I'd be there for about an hour-an hour and a half. So, around 1 I'll be home and the cage will be set up. After that I'll take some pigtures. I plan on not bothering the pigs for the first 2 days, ie. not picking them up. I'll probably just talk to them softly and maybe stroke them if they'll let me. I will certainly be hand feeding them as soon as they get home to start off on socialization right away.

Here's my list of things to get. Please let me know if I need to get anything else:
*pellets
*water bottle (any brands that you like? I was thinking about SuperPet)
*chews
*cozies and tunnels (already ordered)
*ceramic pellet dishes (where did you get yours?)
*mini dustpan and broom or poop scoop
*corner litterbox and litter (any suggestions on that too?)

Well, whether it'll end up being Lucy and Ethel or Lucy and Ricky, I cannot wait to bring these little bundles of joy into my home. And who knows what they'll be named... I'll have to meet them first. Lucy and Ethel are just possibilities, I'll know when I get them home what they'll be named.

Picckalo is a very cute name, Wildcavy! It makes sense, too. I also like Oink and Triton.

Congrats! I know just how you felt in your op post, I was on pins and needles from the moment I had seen Sherlock and Holmes on petfinder up until the time I paid the adoption fee. So yeah, it's not weird at all. I was actually nervous about Momo too, even though the lady had already said she preferred it if I adopted her.

*pellets
*water bottle (any brands that you like? I was thinking about SuperPet)
*chews
*cozies and tunnels (already ordered)
*ceramic pellet dishes (where did you get yours?)
*mini dustpan and broom or poop scoop
*corner litterbox and litter (any suggestions on that too?)

Make sure the pellets are age appropriate; alfalfa-based for pigs under six months(also pregnant and nursing moms) and timothy-based for pigs over six months. You also need plenty of timothy hay; I hear Oxbow is generally an acceptable brand.

If your pigs have unlimited hay then they shouldn't need chews. Hay not only provides the necessary fiber to "keep them regular" but it helps keep their teeth trim.

As far as dishes go, I recommend one that doesn't have a lip the the pig can put their feet on and tip over or grab with the mouths and dump(have had both happen). One of the best dishes I ever had was something like this ((broken link removed)) because there was nothing to grab and the base prevented them from tipping it over when they stood on the edge. Unforunately it got broke and I haven't been able to find another ceramic version (I'd rather not have to get a plastic one). Anyways mine was kitten-sized and did the job perfectly.

Congrats on your new furbabies. Can't wait for pictures! I have been using ceramic dishes for puppies or kittens that I got at the thrift store. Walmart or the dollar store might have some too.

Don't get to large of a water bottle, fresh water is essential and you will tend to leave it longer if the bottle is larger than a cup or so. Also check to make sure there is a O-ring in the neck of the top so the water doesn't leak. I have Lixit water bottles that seem to be much better than the other brands I have used.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.