Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sexing Wait a minute...Male or female???

shelliebear

Cavy Slave
Uh oh. Hang on a sec.
Got Scribbles from Petco, who...well, to be nice, let's just say they're not experts on things like this, but...They said "He" was "male".
After looking at some pictures, I see no testicles on Scribbles, and when gently pushing above the genitals, I don't get a penis, though I feel a squishy thingy...
He has two nipples near his hips; not sure if both males and females have nipples like humans, but...
so, if you can tell from these photos, would you say male or female?
Go figure, we get a gender confused piggie, he fits so well in our family, our motto is "Little and broken, but still good". :silly:
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

Also "he" is 7 months old right now.

Yes--I've looked but I'm having trouble telling the female from the male in those photos! Should we maybe wait it out? How long before their testicles fully develop?

(I get the distinct feeling he's in his hide, knowing what I'm talking about and having a good laugh over it...I'm sure he knows his own gender, hahaha)

OK, I just now noticed the age. A male should generally have more developed testicles than that by that age. Can you feel the ridge of the penis when you rub your finger crosswise above his genitals? If so, you should be able to push down with your thumb just above and get the penis to extrude. There's a picture of that also.

Yes, the males have nipples. There are only a couple of mammalian species where the males don't have nipples. Horses are one of them, and I can't remember the other.

Ahhhh, that's good to know about nipples--thank you! I'm trying to learn all I can about animals right now. Fascinating!
When I look at him from behind when I pick him up he does have two things that appear to be testicles that hang down a good bit. On the genitals themselves he has a mostly "i" shaped line that they describe on the site, but he has two edges that look like they could be a "y". Today I did find in the middle of the i/y crease a piece of aspen bedding which I promptly removed (carefully!). Don't know if that makes a difference--I'm not sure if it was the anal region or not. It was right in the middle of the crease.
Petco could have gotten the age wrong, I think they've done that before with certain animals, he certainly is growing really fast like a baby piggie would and at the moment he's 610 grams or a little more.
When I pressed above the genitals, I did feel a squishy thing, and I feel the same type of squishy things in the sacs where the testicles should be if he's male. But when I press, no penis comes out--though perhaps I am not pressing hard enough, I'm scared I'll hurt him.
Hmmm.

He definitely looks boy to me.

Looks like a male to me. The pet store might have the age wrong.

I have no doubts that he's a he.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.