Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Supplements Vitamin C

TCTrun

Cavy Slave
How many of yall give a vitamin C supplement to your pigs? I give my pigs green leaf lettuce, green bell pepper, and cilantro every day as well as other fruits/veggies occasionally, but I was considering giving a supplement for piece of mind. Is this necessary? Also, which supplements are best (liquid/solid tablets)? I won't do vitamins in the water. I also won't put it over the veggies. I would rather give a tablet or syringe feed a liquid. Thanks in advance!

It's not necessary at all, and too much Vitamin C could cause issues like diarrhea. The only time supplements would be needed is with a sick pig or those who wont eat bell peppers.

Either a pure vitamin C tablet for humans, split into an appropriate size & sprinkled over veggies/syringed. Or Oxbow Daily C chewable tablet with the whole needed daily intake in each.

Thank you, that was exactly the answer i was looking for! My Diesel used to love bell peper, but ever since his bad reaction to Baytril and subsequent diarrhea, he has no interest. Again, thank you!!

I think it totally depends on your guinea pigs diet. I give my girls Oxbow Vit C. I crush 1/2 tablet over veggies in the morning and the same at night. I was only giving l/2 tablet daily, but my vet recommended giving them another half in the evening. The best way to figure out if they need Vit C. is to calculate how much they are getting daily. I was feeding Oxbow Cavy Cuisine adult and I gave them the recommended 1/8 cup per day per pig. 1/8 cup is only 8 mg. Vit C. My girls won't eat peppers and hay has virtually no vit C. in it. The veggies I am feeding in the winter come by truck from the U.S. and sit on a shelf and in my fridge before the girls get them. They probably have very little Vit. C left. My girls have just been changed over to KMs pellets which have double the Vit. C than Oxbow and they love them. Once I can forage for them and they can have fresh veggies and with the added Vit. C from KMs, I may be able to cut back on the Vit. C tablets. Without peppers, you may be surprised how little Vit. C your pigs are getting.

It really isn't necessary if you're feeding veggies with Vitamin C and have pellets with Vitamin C in them. I give my cavy red or green bell pepper and green leaf lettuce (and other variety of veggies) everyday to make sure he gets his Vitamin C. Plus, he has his pellets that have long lasting Vitamin C. I know he's getting his daily dose because he is still alive and has no signs of scurvy lol. Also, I tried awhile back giving him the Oxbow Vitamin C supplement. He hated it.

I've heard really good things about KMs pellets. I am a newbie and purchased Oxbow first and will finish that, but i think i will switch to KMs next time i order. I am also going to try some different bell pepper colors and see, because on the food chart the bell pepper vit c is by far a larger amount compared to other veggies and i'm not sure how i feel trying to make that up with other veggies, most of which can't be fed daily anyway, and not being sure about his intake. Thanks Delaine!

my boys pretty much refuse to eat bell peppers, and are really fussy about all other veggies as well. i didn't need the extra anxiety, so i started giving them Oxbow vit. C. they LOVE it - i shake the bottle and the wheek their heads off - they think it's a treat!!

I love KMs pellets @grace505 . They're a bit more crumbly than Oxbow, but my pigs love them.

Vitamin C isn't a worry for me. I give them 1/8 of a green pepper daily, as well as cilantro.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.