Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Vitakraft Vita Verde Hay

fridzalone

Cavy Slave
I use Vitakraft Vita Verde hay for my piggies. Is it good for them or should i change it to Hamsfood Timothy Hay? I don't see another petshop which sells another brand of hay in my city. What kind of hay Vitakraft Vita Verde is?

I haven't heard of that H one but Vitacraft isn't usually that great. I guess hay is hay most of the time but Oxbow or KM are higher quality. If you have a feed store or place that has horses near you, you can often find quality local hay.

I haven't heard of that H one but Vitacraft isn't usually that great. I guess hay is hay most of the time but Oxbow or KM are higher quality. If you have a feed store or place that has horses near you, you can often find quality local hay.

I can't find Oxbow or KM in my city. It's difficult to find hay here, the petshop only sells Vitakraft Vita Verde Herbal Hay (the one i use), Hartz Alfalfa Hay, and Hamsfood Timothy Hay. Which one should i use?

You need to use a plain grass hay so the herbal one wouldn't be for daily use but is ok for an occasional treat. Hartz products are best avoided at all costs. If the Hamsford stuff is nice and green and smells good, use that one.

What city do you live in? If it's Jakarta, here's what Nissa had to say in a very old post.

"I actually found Oxbow Cavy Cuisine and hay (Oxbow and Kaytee) here. For those living in Indo, it's in Groovy Pet Shop in the Kemang area of Jakarta."

That was from 2005, but I hope they still have it, for when I get my pigs. Please share any info you have - there might be someone else in your area (like me!) looking for the same stuff!

What city do you live in? If it's Jakarta, here's what Nissa had to say in a very old post.

"I actually found Oxbow Cavy Cuisine and hay (Oxbow and Kaytee) here. For those living in Indo, it's in Groovy Pet Shop in the Kemang area of Jakarta."

That was from 2005, but I hope they still have it, for when I get my pigs. Please share any info you have - there might be someone else in your area (like me!) looking for the same stuff!

No, i'm from Bandung. I couldn't find another hay brands here. That's why i use Vitakraft product for my piggies. And for the pellet, i use CP pellet. Btw, nice to meet someone near my area. lol

You need to use a plain grass hay so the herbal one wouldn't be for daily use but is ok for an occasional treat. Hartz products are best avoided at all costs. If the Hamsford stuff is nice and green and smells good, use that one.

How do i know if Hamsfood is nice? Vitakraft ones looks greener than Hamsfood, but Hamsfood hay looks longer. So which one is the best?

I explained once already that hays with herbs or other forages are not really suitable for everyday use. That's because of the herbs/forages. Some herbs/forages are high in calcium and other minerals that can cause stones.

If the hay is in a bag, open the bag, look at and smell the hay. If it's green and long stemmed then it's what the pigs need. Long strands of hay are much better than short strands of hay.

Are the pellets you are feeding plain or is it a mix because you need plain pellets.

I explained once already that hays with herbs or other forages are not really suitable for everyday use. That's because of the herbs/forages. Some herbs/forages are high in calcium and other minerals that can cause stones.

If the hay is in a bag, open the bag, look at and smell the hay. If it's green and long stemmed then it's what the pigs need. Long strands of hay are much better than short strands of hay.

Are the pellets you are feeding plain or is it a mix because you need plain pellets.

Okay, so i'll buy Hamsfood next time.
The pellets are plain, twice a day with extra pellets at the night. I also give them one to two tablespoon Vitakraft Menu for each piggy each day. Is that also fine?

Don't feed the Vitakraft Menu. It's a mix and mixes only cause obesity, make for selective eaters and pose a high choking risk.

Don't feed the Vitakraft Menu. It's a mix and mixes only cause obesity, make for selective eaters and pose a high choking risk.

Is it fine if i only feed them with pellets for rodents, hay and greenies?

Here's pellets that i use for my piggies :

C.P Diet 086 for rodents.
Ingredients :
Soybean meal, ground corn, wheat grain, wheat milling by-products,Ipil-ipil, Alfalfa, Dried Whey, Vegetable Oil, Vitamins, Minerals.
Guaranteed Analysis :
Crude Protein Min 18%,Moisture Max 13%, Fat Min 3%, Crude Fiber Min 9%, Ash Max 10%, Vitamin A Min 9,000 IU/kg, Vit D3 Min 1,800 IU/kg, Vit E Min 80 IU/kg, Ascorbic Acid 800 mg/kg

Are the nutritions okay?

One of the first 2 ingredients need to be timothy hay, so I would say no, that's not okay.

One of the first 2 ingredients need to be timothy hay, so I would say no, that's not okay.

So what should i do? There's no special pellets for piggies in here, the petshops don't sell it. Guinea pigs are pretty rare in my country, so there's no other good quality food for guinea pigs in here except Vitakraft. What about rabbit pellets?

I'm pretty sure another poster from Indonesia was able to find Oxbow. If you can't find it in local stores, see if you can find it online. You could also request that the petstores carry it... that may not work, but it's worth a try. And no, rabbit pellets are not acceptable. They have very different nutritional needs, and rabbit pellets can harm guinea pigs.

I'm pretty sure another poster from Indonesia was able to find Oxbow. If you can't find it in local stores, see if you can find it online. You could also request that the petstores carry it... that may not work, but it's worth a try. And no, rabbit pellets are not acceptable. They have very different nutritional needs, and rabbit pellets can harm guinea pigs.

The only pet store that suply Oxbow in Indonesia is only at Groovy Petshop in Jakarta. And they don't do online shopping, i already contact them. So i think i'll just change them with Hamsfood Timothy Hay.

What i mean with another special food for piggies is the pellets, pet stores don't sells special pellets for piggies, they only sells pellets for rabbit (the pellets that i use is the only rodent pellets). Or should i unchecked pellets from their daily menu?

Is it fine if i only feed them with pellets for rodents, hay and greenies?

Here's pellets that i use for my piggies :

C.P Diet 086 for rodents.
Ingredients :
Soybean meal, ground corn, wheat grain, wheat milling by-products,Ipil-ipil, Alfalfa, Dried Whey, Vegetable Oil, Vitamins, Minerals.
Guaranteed Analysis :
Crude Protein Min 18%,Moisture Max 13%, Fat Min 3%, Crude Fiber Min 9%, Ash Max 10%, Vitamin A Min 9,000 IU/kg, Vit D3 Min 1,800 IU/kg, Vit E Min 80 IU/kg, Ascorbic Acid 800 mg/kg

Are the nutritions okay?

The pellets are low quality and contain corn as a second ingredient, but if they are the only plain pellets you can get, they will have to do but you need to limit the intake of the pellets to no more than 1/8 cup per pig per day. Sometimes you have to do the best you can under the circumstances and the CP pellets are much better than feeding a mix like Vitakraft which is much worse. I would keep trying to find a place that carry Oxbow pellets though.

Rabbit pellets contain ingredients not beneficial to pigs and they contain no vitamin C. So no rabbit pellets.

As far as greenies you mean veggies right? If you feed limited pellets, unlimited grass hay and a good variety of vegetables daily then your pigs should do ok.

How many kinds of mix veggies that should be provide everyday?
Usually i only gave them one kind of veggies each day (ex. carrot for today, lettuce for tomorrow, etc).

I gave pellets more than veggies (which now i know that's wrong), and usually they don't want to eat the veggies until i take all of the pellets, vitakraft and hay out of their cages. When they starving they started to eat it. And they only eat few of it. So how to make them luv their veggies?

You need to give a variety of veggies everyday. You can't just give one thing. At the top of this forum section there are two threads I want you to read. One is called Sample Menus thread and the other is the Nutrition charts thread. The charts tell you the safe veggies and how often to feed them and the sample menus thread will give you an idea of what to feed for a good rounded diet.

How many kinds of mix veggies that should be provide everyday?
Usually i only gave them one kind of veggies each day (ex. carrot for today, lettuce for tomorrow, etc).

I gave pellets more than veggies (which now i know that's wrong), and usually they don't want to eat the veggies until i take all of the pellets, vitakraft and hay out of their cages. When they starving they started to eat it. And they only eat few of it. So how to make them luv their veggies?
Guinea pigs need more variety and more veggies than that.
They need a cup of veggies each a day.
It may take awhile for them to like veggies, but you have to keep trying.
Most people suggest giving them bell pepper and romaine lettuce only until they eat those.Never take their hay out and pellets out of their cages...that's not nice to make them starve. They will eat it when they are ready.

Never take their hay out and pellets out of their cages...that's not nice to make them starve. They will eat it when they are ready.
It's not harmful to take the pellets out of the cage to get them to eat veggies. It wouldn't be harmful to remove the hay for an hour either but I would remove the pellets and leave the hay when giving veggies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.