Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Supplements vit c what do you use????????????

missy1971

Cavy Slave
ok so in my last post I added that I had a guinea pig when I was 12 almost 30 yrs ago:eek:. Anyway they told me to put tang in their water for the vit c, I did that and he lived to the age of 6 1/2. I have been doing that but I use the sugar free tang. Any comments on that????? I also give them oranges but with the summer coming I dont want fruit flies, I know there are drops but they seem to love the water and tang. I dont put much just enough to make to water orange.

I'm not a guinea pig nutritionist but have heard others say here absolutely not to use Tang and that even the drops are worthless as they lose their potency very rapidly. Most GP pellets have vitamin C and if you are giving them a variety of veggies, I would think that would be enough. I don't give mine any extra.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/threads/24466/ Tang or vitamin C drops should never be used in water! First off vitamin C degrades in water, light and air, so by the time they take a drink they are getting nothing. This can also make the taste of it funny and make them not want to drink as much, plus tang has dyes and such. You also need to watch the amount of oranges you feed, they can give guinea pigs mouth sores, you can only feed a small amount once a week. Just from the normal veggies and pellets, they will get enough vitamin C, you can also give them Oxbow vitamin C tablets by hand or one crushed over pellets.

No supplements should be used other than the natural Vitamin C from Veggies such as Yellow Bell Pepper. 1/4 of a medium sweet Bell Pepper will allow 1 pig to have the required amount of Vitamin C each day.

Strawberries and the like are great too. Here is a chart from the Nutrition forum that is great for finding high Vitamin C Vegetables:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/food/Veggie-and-Fruit-Charts.pdf

_
_

@Zuidy you say no other supplement. I give my pigs peppers everyday, and everyonce and while, I give them a half of a oxbow vit C tablet.

Is this ok, of should I stop?

@go_ellie Oxbow vitamin C tablets are just about the only thing you can supplement with, I also will throw one per day in the pigs' cage. Anything that goes in their water, or contains more than vitamin C (Such as other vitamins or minerals) are bad and should never be used

Perfect!! Should I give it to them more offten (once a day, every other day??) or keep with what I am doing? They really like them, and their fur looks better after they eat it (if that makes sence).

I'm not too sure about how much should be given, however half per pig per day sounds about right to me. I once did some research on if you could ever give too much vitamin C, and it sounds like it would be really hard to.

ok so how do I know each guinea pig is getting the right amount of what he/she needs. I have right now 9 guinea pigs 3 to a cage sort of like the c&c cage. I try to give 3 piles or the same ampunt of veggies or carrot sticks or whatever but smeone always finishes first or hides their food and goes for someone elses food.

Cut the veggies into bits, therefore they can't hide them. with my pigs, I spread the veggies out in the cage, so that everyone has there own space to eat and there is no food guarding. How much are you giving them per day? Each pig needs about a cup of veggies, you can fallow the like @Zuidy put to find more about what veggies can be fed and how often. Carrots should only be at the most on very small baby carrot per pig.

I use straight GNC Vit C 100MG tablets. I split them into quarters/give 1 quarter to Whistles every morning. It is "citrus" flavored and he gobbled it up quickly.

If he gets orange slices he gets only a half of a tablet on Saturday.

@Zuidy you say no other supplement. I give my pigs peppers everyday, and everyonce and while, I give them a half of a oxbow vit C tablet.

Is this ok, of should I stop?

I don't view peppers are a supplement. I look at it as just a source of vitamin C like any other vege. So when people say, "No supps", they don't mean the peppers. They more likely mean drops in the water.

And ditto what others have said about the vit c tabs. Some will crush them up and sprinkle them over food. I have tried it with my pigs in solid form but they weren't interested.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.