Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Vinegar: Alternative?

HappyHopperz

Cavy Slave
Yesterday when we cleaned up the coroplast, the smell of the vinegar did not smell good, it smelt like sweaty people to me! It aired out after awhile but I still am not a fan of the smell. I know it works best for cleaning but it's just too strong of a smell. Does anyone recommend an alternative to vinegar that is safe for animals? Thank You!

Cleaning
Some people prefer to use a bleach solution. If you use bleach, use only a maximum of 10% bleach and 90% water and rinse VERY WELL.

While there are a few cleaning solutions marketed for animal cages & such, they do contain chemicals just like any other & could be harmful in the end if you have a sensitive pig. Try to find one with a neutral scent, where you know what most if not all ingredients mean by researching it.

We have a brand I think only is available in Scandinavia unfortunately, called "Piss off". It doesn't contain any chemicals & is basically the same thing as vinegar & it's ph level but without the smell.

Vinegar smells really really bad yes, but you do get used to it after a while. Couldn't wash their fleeces & towels without it. Luckily they don't smell after though.

You are right, that's why I do not purchase from pet stores, other than my small local ones. I'd much rather support them than any of the big chain stores. As for the bleach, I'd prefer not to use it. If there is no more suggestions, I think I may just have to go with getting used to vinegar as it does do a good cleaning job. :) Thank You!

How strong are you making the vinegar solution?

Also, I think you get less of a smell if you make a small solution in a bucket and dip the cleaning cloth in there rather than putting it in a spray bottle. But in any case, the smell doesn't linger long when I clean my cage.

We put in a little over halfway. That's probably the problem. The smell doesn't linger long either, it's just the smell it's being cleaned.

Be careful if you use bleach. The only time I use it is when I need to completely sterilize a cage. It's very caustic if it's not completely rinsed off. I dilute the vinegar/water 50/50 and really wipe it down. It only smells if it's still wet.

You get use to the smell after awhile and it does fade quickly. The only cleaning products I have in my whole house are vinegar, baking soda, borax, water, essital oils and bleach for super disinfecting (like toilets...).

I'd stick with the vinegar-diluted as the other posters have said. You might try another brand as some does have a bit different smell. If the smell really, really bothers you, try putting a dab of Vick's Vaporub just under your nostrils. It masks pretty much any unpleasant smell.

Thanks for the helpful posts! :) They were all very useful. I will try adding a little less vinegar over water next time. Thank You all!! :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.