Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

vet?

RustBottum

Cavy Slave
I was just wondering if i was suppose to take my gp to the vet regularly like i do with my dog? Also i have a male so am i suppose to clean his sack because he can get impaction?

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
I was just wondering if i was suppose to take my gp to the vet regularly like i do with my dog
I would suggest taking him once a year or if you're really worried or he has a hea;th problem twice a year.

Also i have a male so am i suppose to clean his sack because he can get impaction?

I clean out my boys sacks once, maybe twice, a week. It's not much of a big deal.

RustBottum

Cavy Slave
I have never cleaned my boy's sack before and i don't think the rescue i got him from did either. So should i now?An how do i do it?

My gp is pretty healthy i am not that worried i was just wondering if other people took heir gp on regular visits to the vet.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Ok, you need to do it at least fortnightly

*get a q tip and dip it in olive oil
*open up the sac with your thumb and forefinger
*clean out the gunk inside the q-tip. If there is a solid mass then just ease it out gently

RustBottum

Cavy Slave
Ok, you need to do it at least fortnightly

what is fortnightly?

how do i hold my gp while doing this to him?

Piglet

Cavy Slave
He he, it's every other week. But that's for me... I use fleece so their sacs stay pretty clean.

Sort of tuck your pigs head in the nook of your elbow, so that his bum is facing outwards.

RustBottum

Cavy Slave
i use fleece also. I am going to try to do it tonight or tomorrow. I am not sure if my gp will stay still though.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Let me just tell you, it reeks. So, invest in a peg! I had to shove tissues up my nose last time because I felt so queasy!

RustBottum

Cavy Slave
thanks for the warning!!! :)

Ziggysmom

Cavy Slave
Alright, My boyfriends' gp was on wood pellets before I switched him back to towels. The pellets were *prepared* with the water and lots of sawdust stuff clogged his anal sack. We tried to clean it and had some success but we are clueless how to hold him. We tried with a towel and on his back but he is strong and kicks and squirms his way out and scratches. We don't want to restrain him too tightly since we don't want him hurt. My boy hasn't clogged yet but I want to be ready when/if he does.

RustBottum

Cavy Slave
I have a problem. I tried cleaning it a little while ago but i had trouble opening the sac. Also i could get my guine pig to stay still. I tried different possitions but he kept kicking and squirming. What should i do?

RustBottum

Cavy Slave
well i just tried again and i think i did it right. It was DISTGUSTING!!!!! I smelt so bad!!! But it done now! Thankx for all your help.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
I know, dosn't it smell sick?

toffeepig

Cavy Slave
Aw, crap, so that's why Toffee smells so funny and has a greasy hind-end. Geez you guys make it sound SOOOO lovely, I'll just run and get him and the q-tips right now. Oh, the fun we'll have bathing and squeezing the goo from his bum. . . >:s A spayed female is sounding better all the time. . .

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
The only issue (which I have to deal with) is having males and females together. Semen gets everywhere.

guineagurl

Cavy Slave
Arghhh ...I just ate lunch......

I have boys, where is this sac and what does it look like? I've never done this.

Edit, and if anyone has time, could you tell me & others, what is the reason this is cleaned out? As I said above, I've never done it, do they do it themselve's if we can't? How will it impact their quality of life if this is not done?
I honestly don't think I could stomach doing it..

AmiableAnimals

Cavy Slave
I would suggest Mineral oil rather than olive oil. Any oil that gets trapped in there could ferment if it was vegetable based.

*Piglets-Angel*

Cavy Slave
Ok, I have 2 boys, and I never heard you have to clean their anal sack, soo Im saying exactly what guineagurl is saying.....

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
Piglet said:
Let me just tell you, it reeks. So, invest in a peg! I had to shove tissues up my nose last time because I felt so queasy!

Bwahahaha!! Sorry, I can just see that! XD

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.