Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Vet says my piggies are a little chubby ^^

Jesslovespigs

Cavy Slave
I took my piggies to the vet today and got a clean bill of health:) but they are a little chubby. They get floor time every day and run like crazy and popcorn haha. I feed them timothy hay, kale, collard and the occasional strawberry and carrot. How can I get them to a better weight?

Do you feed them any pellets? How big of a cage do they have? When you got them were they that size?

I do feed them some pellets, their cage is 2x4 right now and I got them when they were 6 months old.

Make sure that you are only feeding them 1/8 to 1/4 a cup of pellets each. If they are eating to much that may be the cause. If you can, maybe think about expanding your cage to give them more room to run around. Some pigs like my phoenix, just don't lose weight no matter what you do. She only has 1/8 a cup of pellets each day, and has a HUGE cage, yet she is still the same size as she was 3 months ago, or maybe even a little bigger.

Oh ok I think I need to not give them as much pellets. Unfortunately I don't have room to expand their cage, I try to make up for it with lots and lots of floor time :) even though chubby guinea pigs are super cute lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.