Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet Costs Vet costs in the UK

Pollyerrington

Cavy Slave
Took my piggies for a check up today after one had a fall.

Check up was just £19

Anti inflamatory jab was £7 so all in all not too pricey.

Just thought some UK people might like to know as i've only seen $ prices on here.x

Cucumber

Cavy Slave
Hi Polly,
I got my piggy's claws clipped, cost £5, not unreasonable I thought.

£19 +£7 jab may seem pricey but if you can afford it it's worth it.

If you can't afford treatment PDSA will do the job and ask for you to pay whatever you can.

I had some sad news from my vet the other day. I took my piggy to the vet because of a clearly painful inflammation on the back and a what looked like a mite infection, it was.
Im new to piggyness so never noticed the mite attack.

I have now read up as much as I could on symptom of cavies

On check-up the vet noticed a huge cyst on the jaw. He said it was worth x-ray as it may be easily treatable if fluid. (I thought it was a rodent like pouch, I inherited this piggy from my niece who out grew it whence my naivete). The cyst had 'calciated' + there were two thus making this operation, a stressful one with a long recovery and no possibility of success. Being an elderly happy piggy with very little extra life expectancy, i agreed that no treatment was necessary other than watching for infection.

Price £77... which was for check-up, x-rays and mite treatment. I lost bill so can't itemise for you.
I now love my cucumber and would be devastated to loose him...

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
A check up was JUST £19? Normally costs me between £5 and £8!

Pollyerrington

Cavy Slave

That's probably because you're in Scotland. I'm right by London which would explain the higher cost i'm guessing.
Anyway I thought £19/$40 was fine for peace of mind and a happy piggy :)

jenniwat001

Cavy Slave

Wow! It'd almost be worth me driving to Scotland for that! Mine are usually £22 for check up and jab but I recently found a cheaper vet that does it for £19, I thought that was good!

Pollyerrington

Cavy Slave
Wow! It'd almost be worth me driving to Scotland for that! Mine are usually £22 for check up and jab but I recently found a cheaper vet that does it for £19, I thought that was good!

Just double checked and it was actually £16 for the check up. Pinkie is sooo much happier now! eating and running around. So cute.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
If I get any new animals I need checked over they do it for free as well. :D

tup86

Cavy Slave
I'm in London and my vet is so expensive! Nail clipping was £13 per pig, needless to say I quickly learnt how to do it myself to save money!

Sponge

Cavy Slave
I'm in Nottinghamshire, about halfways between Scotland and London.

It cost me Approximately £15 per piggy per check up, £4 for a probiotic and £2 for the tinyest amount of Baytril (used for a possible UTI) that I was to administer orally. I also had to pay just over £1.50 for each pee-stick that was used to test their urine for blood.

All in all over five days (and no UTI in the end) it cost me approximately £50. But at least I have peace of mind, even if I can't afford my credit card bill this month :s

Jojojo

Cavy Slave
At the vet I'm with a check-up costs £22 for initial consultation and £18 for secondary consultation. Baytril cost me £6.75.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.