Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Very Loud Squealing (New Behavior)

mgrey

Cavy Slave
In the last two days, our youngest Guinea Pig, Luna, has begun squealing frequently.

[video=youtube_share;61DueFTBYOA]

In the video she is running about because I am filming, but normally she will just sit and squeal real high. This is totally new behavior. She has always been vocal (our other one barely makes a peep), and I'm not one to quickly worry about the sounds they make, but this one has me stumped.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason. She gets plenty of fresh food daily, plus hay, water, and pellets. I believe she may be a runt, because she is only a month younger than Lucy, but is half the size, and I wonder if that could affect her health. She has already gotten a URI and been treated for it successfully but now I am worrying that there is something else wrong with her. I'll probably make a vet appointment on Monday, but for now I'm just looking for some piggie wisdom on whether or not I should think the worst.

I should note that in the video, the high-pitched squeals are spaced. Most of the time, she will just sit and make that same high pitched squeal in succession.

That all sounds like normal guinea pig talk to me. I could be wrong but mine talk like that all the time, especially if they want something.

Sounds normal to me. Mine do that, too.

That is one happy guinea pig, @mgrey!
It's funny because after your video, this one popped up: Revy the guinea pig super loud wheeking and squealing for food - YouTube

And sounds similar to what you're describing. And that is also one excited pig.
Where are you/ what are you doing when she starts making this sound? All of my pigs react to different stimuli and squeak/ wheek like crazy.

This is a good sign. Enjoy the music she sings for you. =]

Thank you very much for your replies! This makes me feel a lot better. The woman I spoke to at the vet pretty much told me the same thing.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.