Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Very frightened guinea pigs

kazbarina

Cavy Slave
Hi all, got two guineas over a week ago and they were settling in nicely.am off work Ill at the mo, so have been sat in the room with their cage, talking to them, trying to bond. Yesterday the most timid one, Emma began chattering to Lilly then chased her round the cage and started mounting her. Lilly jumped on the hammock, Emma followed and there was a lot of shrieking. Emma tried to mount lilly again. I started to panic thinking the petshop had mis-sexed them, so separated them, which they didn't like and my husband took Emma to the vets to find out if she was in fact male. As it is, they are both girls. The vet said Emma was trying to assert her dominance. I'm thinking the hammock wasn't big enough for both of them and so I removed the hammock and added two igloos which they are now in. However, and the issue is, have I now traumatised them.they havent been out of their igloos all day, or eaten. Please help. They are ten weeks old. Today I have kept the children out of the room to keep it quiet for them. I really hope I haven't ruined all my good work building up their trust.

That's normal behavior. Your vet is correct that they're trying to determine who's the boss. How large is your cage? The larger it is, the more room they have to be able to get away from one another. Let them work it out. As long as there's not blood shed, things will calm down. It takes time for them to work out their hierarchy.

Hi it's a c&c cage 4 x 4 so I think it's big enough. Thanks for the reply

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.