Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Veggies

CeleneAlberona

Cavy Slave
What veggies should I give Mynx? She loves carrots but I don't want carrots to be all she eats. I don't want to feed her anything that's bad for her either.

Also, are salt blocks good for guinea pigs?

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs don't need salt blocks. :)

The best veggies are, in my opinion, green or red leaf lettuce and bell peppers. There's a lot of other veggies that are safe and good for pigs, but those are the ones that mine and most others' pigs consume in the biggest amounts. For other veggies you can try things like cucumber, zucchini, cilantro, chard, and many more, but none of those should be the biggest part of the veggies. (And neither should carrots- they're fine in moderation but you're right that they shouldn't be all she eats, they have a lot of sugar for a piggy digestive system.)

If Mynx is a baby, higher calcium veggies like parsley are an option too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CeleneAlberona

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs don't need salt blocks. :)

The best veggies are, in my opinion, green or red leaf lettuce and bell peppers. There's a lot of other veggies that are safe and good for pigs, but those are the ones that mine and most others' pigs consume in the biggest amounts. For other veggies you can try things like cucumber, zucchini, cilantro, chard, and many more, but none of those should be the biggest part of the veggies. (And neither should carrots- they're fine in moderation but you're right that they shouldn't be all she eats, they have a lot of sugar for a piggy digestive system.)

If Mynx is a baby, higher calcium veggies like parsley are an option too.

Mynx is almost 6 weeks old, so yes she's still a baby. Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it and I'm sure Mynx will too. ^-^

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.