Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Veggies and fruit after diarrea?

anydue

Cavy Slave
My piggy, Whitman, is having regular poops now. I don't want to start feeding veg/fruit too soon, but I know I must start back. It isn't fun cleaning up runny poop! Any suggestions on how to re-introduce after having been on straight hay and pellets for a couple of weeks? As always, thanks a million!

Make sure his poops have been ok for at least 3-4 days before re-introducing any veggies. Start him off with ONE veggie only, preferably lettuce, and feed only that one for 3-4 days to make sure it isn't causing the runny poop. If he does ok on that one, leave it in his diet and add ONE more food, say bell pepper. Give it for 3-4 days. Keep on doing that until you find the one that caused the runny poop. If you give them all back and he doesn't have any diarrhea, then you can be certain that something other than what he eats gave it to him.

It may have been the apples, grapes and blueberries that I was feeding him everyday. I didn't realize that I wasn't supposed to until I read your helpful nutritional information. I will start back on the lettuce first. Thanks for your help!

Pigs can't tolerate much sugar. The problem with them isn't so much the possibility of diabetes, although they can get that, as that too much sugar alters the chemical composition of the food in their intestines. They can get gassy and sometimes even develop bloat from it. Fruit should just be given a few times a week in very small quantities.

What should I do about vitamin C until I can give him a more varied diet? Thanks so much!

If the pellets have stabilized vitamin C in them, you should be ok for a few days. That's one reason for starting the bell pepper back as one of the first veggies.

You don't want to give them extra vitamin C from tablets after diarrhea, because vitamin C itself can cause diarrhea. That's if you give too much, not a regular amount, but if your pig already had an upset tummy, you don't want to add to it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.