Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Veggie/Fruit Cubes!

CavyFamily

Cavy Slave
So I found this cube tray thats meant to make jello cubes (came with a box of jello) anyway looking at this thing I started to think.....I could use this to make cubes for my girls. So I chopped up green pepper, carrot, apple, spinach and romaine lettuce and put them in this tray added water and froze. My girls LOVE them! They get more water with each cube and its a neat way to give your pigs veg or fruit they need. My one pig hates carrot but she eats it this way!

Here are pics of the green pepper and apple cubes. [GuineaPigCages.com] Veggie/Fruit Cubes![GuineaPigCages.com] Veggie/Fruit Cubes![GuineaPigCages.com] Veggie/Fruit Cubes![GuineaPigCages.com] Veggie/Fruit Cubes!I only gave them two the first time to see if they would like it but now they each get two and fresh veggies along with it!

What a "cool" idea! Thanks for sharing!

I am SO going to try that! Looks entertaining too.

I am SO going to try that! Looks entertaining too.

My girls LOVED it. They weeek now if they hear me open the freezer cause they learned FAST that means cubes. I have been doing this for about a week now but have been lazy on getting the post up here. lol

I am going to try that, it's a good idea, and I think it would be a great way to make sure your guinea pigs are getting enough water especially in the summer months.

i'm curious - i tried veggie cubes for my boys a couple months ago. i put it in a dish, and even right on the fleece. i even ran a little warm water over them first, so soften the edges a little. they didn't seem to know what to do with them! they sniffed, and push the cubes around, then left them to melt slowly and messily. and even after that, they wouldn't touch them!!

do your girls actually chomp at and eat the cubes?

i'm curious - i tried veggie cubes for my boys a couple months ago. i put it in a dish, and even right on the fleece. i even ran a little warm water over them first, so soften the edges a little. they didn't seem to know what to do with them! they sniffed, and push the cubes around, then left them to melt slowly and messily. and even after that, they wouldn't touch them!!

do your girls actually chomp at and eat the cubes?

Yes my girls at first just pushed them around but after maybe a few mins they realized it was stuff they liked. I would try it with something you know they go nuts over first and I filled the cups with the veg or fruit and then added enough water to make it freeze. if it does melt it leaves very little water in the bowl and just a pile of chopped up food.

I am going to try that, it's a good idea, and I think it would be a great way to make sure your guinea pigs are getting enough water especially in the summer months.

Thats what prompted me to try it. Its been over a 100 here for like the last week and a half so why not give it a try. The girls just crunched away happily!

BUMP- For others to use this idea! :D

That's a great idea!!!! It's been super hot here too and our poor AC has been working overtime the last 3 days or so with the heat index being in the 120 area. Plus with 3 kids inside because it's too hot to play outside for more than 10 minutes at a time. The kids could help chop veggies and put them in freezer trays. We have shaped ones that we use once in a while, how cute would a star veggie cube be. I'll have to try this out with our 3 pigs.

I saw trays today at Walmart that are Madagascar shaped! Almost bought it. lol.

Aha! I've been doing this for my little guy for a while now. On hot days I give him a nice ice cube with a little snack inside and he loves it! He munches away at the ice and quite enjoys the cold fruit/vegetable inside. I do the same for my dog minus the frozen veggie/fruit :D
[GuineaPigCages.com] Veggie/Fruit Cubes!

What a neat idea! I'm going to have to try that. Thanks :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.