Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Vegetarian..?

juniormylove

Cavy Slave
I doubt I'd ever be able to become a vegetarian (I love meat haha) but I was wondering if there are any benefits to being a vegetarian. I thought I remembered reading or someone telling me that being vegetarian was unhealthy but I can't remember where, when, or why.

So is there any real health benefit to being a vegetarian, or is it just because you don't like meat?

Pumpkin_RIP

Cavy Slave
Yup, lots & lots of benefits! Just some are: lower cholesterol, veg's live 6-10 years longer on average, more energy, less sleep is needed, feel better. Those are only some.

cowgirl411

Cavy Slave
Well of course! Im a vegetarian myself and to tell you the complete and honest truthi believe there are ton of health benifits........includeing the things Pumpikin-Rip said.......... some people say that its not healthy mostly becouse they think you dont get anough protien or somthing or another like you would with meat. But its not true.

I hope that answered your question!!

juniormylove

Cavy Slave
thanks for the sites.

i'm thinking i'll just stay a meat eater. my parents wouldn't be willing to make me special meals, and ribs are just too tasty :]

gpigluver14

Cavy Slave
I doubt I'd ever be able to become a vegetarian (I love meat haha) but I was wondering if there are any benefits to being a vegetarian. I thought I remembered reading or someone telling me that being vegetarian was unhealthy but I can't remember where, when, or why.

So is there any real health benefit to being a vegetarian, or is it just because you don't like meat?
I've been a vegetarian for more than a year and I'm happier and healthier! There are many benefits to becoming vegetarian. Health-wise: you greatly lower your risk of heart disease (the number one killer), you live longer, save lives, save the environment, etc. Eating MEAT is unhealthy. Not vice versa. Did you know that the common omnivore actually gets too much protein? Animal protein contains a much higher amount than is necessary. By becoming a vegetarian and ensuring that you still eat beans, nuts, lentils, and other vegetarian protein sources, you will get a healthy amount of protein. Not to mention the fact that by being a vegetarian, you're saving lives.

I chose to go vegetarian for health reasons, to lessen my impact on the environment, and because the treatment of animals in the meat industry is sick. Here is a link to video that shows you what goes on behind the meat industry. Please note: IT IS VERY GRAPHIC!

YouTube - Meet your Meat

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
For you or for the animals? I personally find factory farming of animals repulsive and even though my boyfriend eats meat, the more he learns about the meat industry, the closer he is to becoming a vegatarian. Heart disease is the number one killer of women, and eating a healthy vegatarian diet will help with this. I became a vegatarian as a preteen and I decided then to just eat the side dishes my parents made. It made no more work for them and I still had plenty to eat.

cowgirl411

Cavy Slave
Gpigluver14, that vidieo is what made me want to be a vegetarian! Its so sad!

gpigluver14

Cavy Slave
I became a vegatarian as a preteen and I decided then to just eat the side dishes my parents made. It made no more work for them and I still had plenty to eat.

I used to do the same exact thing for a short time. I don't know what kind of side dishes your parents make, but you might want to be careful about that. With me, the occasional vegetarian side would just be a vegetable and/or applesauce, which is definitely not enough. Now I basically make my own dinner every night- I will have my own vegetarian main dish plus the occasional veg*n side if there is one.

luvsgiraffes

Cavy Slave
I am a vegetarian. Started for the wrong reasons and now? I dont know. But anyways. I think that being vegeterian can be a very healthy way to live but I think that it is a lot harder because you need to learn how to eat well.
(Ie with protiens and dairy if you are vegan.)