Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Vegetarian "Southern Comfort" Breakfast Foods?

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
Hello, I have decided as one of my two current new year's resolutions, that I going to slowly but surely work on eating less meat and more vegetables.

I live in NC, and I don't actually have our traditional and typical "southern comfort breakfast foods", because they are very very unhealthy, and made from not even quality animal parts (like sausage patties on biscuits, animal fat making the grease for the biscuits, etc, other gross stuff).

So, if I can turn all of these tasty but not tasty enough to damage my arteries and other health stuff into vegetarian versions, I can eat them all for breakfast every and any day I want to! Plus, I will be saving animals that deserve better.

So, here is a list of what I would like to eat for breakfast, in a vegetarian version free from animal fats, but I will still consume dairy, so dairy is ok to be included in your recipe suggestion:
Southern biscuits, a classic! They're so good, but I want to make them better. How do I make sure they don't have animal fat, and just used veggie oil to bake?

Sausage patties to go on the biscuits: vegetarian, and moist (as if they were a little greasy, but not with trans fat or animal fats, only plant/veggie oils please!
NOTE: All these patties are the little mini ones they put on the mini biscuits, you can probably picture what I'm talking about.
Chicken patties to go on the biscuits: same as for sausage patties
Steak patties: same as for sausage patties
Bacon strips: vegetarian, but no animal fat, that is so friggin' gross lol :yuck: . No trans fats, just natural plant oils/vegetable oils.

Sausage links: vegetarian, same as for sausage patties
If I think of anything else, I'll come back and add it.
Also, I need these meat substitutes to be nutritionally balanced, or whatever you call it, just so it would be near the same as eating the meat versions, and so I don't get sick or anything.

Thanks!!!

Tserisa

Cavy Slave
You don't have to worry about meat substitutes being "balanced". You won't get sick from eating meat alternatives instead of meat. In fact, you'll be consuming far less saturated fat. It can only be better for you.

Do you want recipes for things like the sausages and patties, or brand suggestions?

A vegetarian southern biscuit recipe is almost all I can find! I assume that the version you're used to uses ... lard? Just replace that (or whatever other animal fat that's in it) with shortening (you can even get trans fat free shortening!) and it's vegetarian. Easy to replace the butter with vegan margarine and the milk with soy milk, and it's vegan, even.

Making those kind of recipes vegetarian is actually *very* simple.

BubuCandyBlue

Cavy Slave
I have an idea for you...have you ever tried meatballs? I know how to make veggie meatballs, and they are very good (potatoes, parsley strips, green beans, carrots). I know pretty many recipes good for vegetarians, but sometimes it would be harder for you to understand me and how they are made and look like, as I am not from over here.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.